DIY install of glass balustrade - what's involved?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an idea in my head: install glass balustrades

I've seen plenty of videos on youtube
Most include installing new wood and dropping into a groove - that's too much work for me.

One single video: the guy gets rid of the wooden poles, sands down and paints.
Then just gets clips from Amazon + orders the glass
From there, it's super simple
I can definitely do that!

On Amazon... I've seen square glass for about £80 a piece.
Going on this... I don't think I need to spend more than £200 on the glass + clamps!

But... 2 pieces of the glass I need have to be at angles - so need to be ordered made to measure I guess?
Where would I get the glass from?

Does it have to be some sort of special glass?
There's 2 double glazing glass companies near me... I can ask for a price for the glass - but just wondering if the glass need to be 'special' toughened or something?

Am I missing something?

I don't mind doing as a DIY project if I know where to do get the parts from

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of online suppliers who do these kind of things for a DIY installation, have a google, accurate measuring is (one of the) keys to success, avoid Amazon. These are a different league to glazing suppliers so forget them too.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
I've got an idea in my head: install glass balustrades

I've seen plenty of videos on youtube
Most include installing new wood and dropping into a groove - that's too much work for me.

One single video: the guy gets rid of the wooden poles, sands down and paints.
Then just gets clips from Amazon + orders the glass
From there, it's super simple
I can definitely do that!

On Amazon... I've seen square glass for about £80 a piece.
Going on this... I don't think I need to spend more than £200 on the glass + clamps!

But... 2 pieces of the glass I need have to be at angles - so need to be ordered made to measure I guess?
Where would I get the glass from?

Does it have to be some sort of special glass?
There's 2 double glazing glass companies near me... I can ask for a price for the glass - but just wondering if the glass need to be 'special' toughened or something?

Am I missing something?

I don't mind doing as a DIY project if I know where to do get the parts from

Thanks
Hope you don’t have children .

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Hope you don’t have children .
3 kids actually of different ages ranging from 10 to 18
Is there a safety concern?

@freddiemercurystwin I'll definitely google as you suggest
Any idea off the top of your head what the cost might be?
2 slanted pieces needed: 1.2m x 1m + 1m x 1m
1 rectangle piece: 08.m x 1m

I wouldn't have bothered normally... but it seems quite easy to do

If I go to the wrong supplier, I could end up paying £5k
Go to the right place... and I could get it done for under £200 from the calculations I've done
Just want to know if there any flaws in the plan or pitfalls I haven't thought of?

Well you'll have to look around for a supplier good luck if you really think you can get that little lot for £200. Lots of different fittings to choose from.

• Thanks
You ( that is the Mrs) will spend hours cleaning it if you want it to look good .

• Thanks
Well you'll have to look around for a supplier good luck if you really think you can get that little lot for £200. Lots of different fittings to choose from.
Tell me what price I should be looking at - just a guestimate will do
If you say £5k - I'll move onto the next crazy idea
LOL

@foxhole not my department, I have no skills in cleaning

I really don't know but think about, a couple of bespoke cut sized bits of glass, a bunch of fittings, just sounds quite ambitious for £200. Just get on the websites and have a look.

I was like you and did not have the confidence to install the newell and banister rail to an appropriate level of safety.

I hired a joiner to buy the hardwood and install. I finished it myself with oil and then bought the brackets and ordered the toughened glass to fit from a local glazier. This was easy. I bought the brackets early but waited until the joinery was complete before ordering the glass

I just looked it up and found that it was 13 years ago! My ebay supplier is not longer on the site, but I would recommend a high-quality stainless steel for the fittings.

These are so easy to fit. Just get the measurements right!

Regards

Tet

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back