DIY Loft Conversion

What's the cost comparison like compared with stress graded timber or timber I beams for that matter?

Regards
C.[/quote]
Sorry I spelt Birtley wrong. The pressed steel box beams they recommended for me were SB100 s and the reason I only needed 3 metre lengths was because I was going to use 2 beams between each gable end and the walls of a central staircase and then form a ladder network with timber beams and galvanised joist hangers hung on the box beams. But I should point out I'm not doing any calculations as when I come to sell the house it will be described as useful storage space, in reality it will be a home cinema until then.
I have not had a quote but it has to be cheaper than Telebeam or aluminium I beams. If anyone thinks this is a really bad idea please let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, first post so please be kind!

I will hopefully be moving into a new build detached house next feb and i would like to explore the possibility of preparing the house now for a possible loft conversion in the future.

Due to cost i cant get the builders to do it as they build the property now.

Can anyone advise what questions i should be asking now to make sure the loft conversion is possible in the future.

I only have initial plans for house - see picture.

Is there any really good websites that anyone can recommend?

Many thanks
John

Your existing loft will probably have lightweight trusses that are a pain to remove but it can be done, there was an ongoing thread on here recently with pics by someone. It will also depend what headroom you have up there, its surprising how much existing headroom is lost with the new floor structure and newly insulated pitched roof make-up, the other main issue will be getting the stair to work as you head will be getting close to the roof as you walk up the stairs. Seemingly big lofts can become quite small and impracticable following all the necessary structure etc. The only way to truly establish these things is to employ someone to do some feasibility or do it yourself!

Sponsored Links
i'm currently undergoing telebeam LC, for my install the price was very comparible and is relativly a competant DIY's job - i'm just getting trades in for fitting velux, stairs and doing final fix for plumbing and bathroom.
Lookily i have a central spine wall running the extent of teh building so the telebeams cantelever over this - cutting the cost by 50% as only need 1 telebeam per truss.

From my understanding the box section and i beams combined are stronger, but certainly get a SE to check out your ali I beam's as this might be cheaper still.

I spent months researching and got quotes from all the popular loft conv companies, at least 5 of them, and they quotes all came in between 30 and 40K, but with telebeam i think the finsl costs are going to be around 20K all in.

hope this helps - would be good to see who else have used telebeam - i would certainly recommend them - very professional!

Hi, can I have some feedback on telegram system as I am doing researching for my loft conversion project. Any Pros and Cons? If you can do it again, would you choose telegram? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back