Loft Conversion - No RSJ's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm loosely considering converting the loft (1969 detached 3 bedroom house), it's just under 7m x 7m and can get 7m x 4m usage out of it. It's a fink roof truss, trusses are 600mm apart and are really flimsy.

I looked at Telebeam, who quoted a bare minimum £7k before all the accessories. Due to the roof facing the wrong way round, I can't fit RSJ's. I then thought as I have the technical data (<50kgm2), whether I could do the same with timber, or is there an alternative?

Thanks for your help guys

Sponsored Links
The gable is facing to the sides at the neighbours (their houses are about 3m from mine), so I can't slide anything in, without taking the roof off(?)

I can't slide anything in, without taking the roof off(?)

??

Steel beams are usually the most cost-effective way of providing support in lofts.

If you can't manouver a long beam in, you can have it cut into 2 or 3 lengths and bolt them together when in position. When you get your beams designed, your SE can provided details for this if required.

BTW, don't even think of using telebeams - they are the most expensive way known to man of doing a loft conversion.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Tony and Freddy

It didn't even occur to me that the steels could be cut, the photos are identical to how my trusses look.

I am in the process of hiring an SE for this on mybuilder, if there are any lurkers feel free to pm me

One again, thankyou both :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back