DIY Nest Thermostat install and video review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I fitted a nest a while back and after quite a bit of use, I'm well impressed with it. It's a long review and install but thought some people thinking of fitting one would find it useful.

Thanks a lot to everyone on this forum as it was only reading various posts that helped me fit this.

Sponsored Links
OK, originally I suspected that this was a wind up..........but having heard the commentary I'm not so sure now. However, it is wrong on so many levels. The Nest may work, but it is a bad installation. I'll start with the obvious and most dangerous first.

1. You have fitted a metal blanking plate to an insulated backbox. So unless you have added an earth terminal to the blanking plate, it is not earthed.

2. You use a green / yellow wire (identifying it as as an earth wire) as the 'Hot Water Call for Heat' a live conductor.

3. The cable with the plug on, doesn't have any cable grip fitted to hold it in place where it enters the plastic back box. A 3A fused spur with fixed wiring would have been a better way of providing power. [Although it's not as bad as it being wired to directly to the back of the socket without a fuse as you say it was before]

4. The Heatlink came with a cable clamp but you removed it. It's there for a purpose.

5. The cable sheaths don't extend inside the Heatlink.

If it's not a wind up, for safety's sake, please rectify your installation and remove the video so that others don't follow it.

Hi Stem,

Thanks for your reply!

1. Back plate is certainly Earthed.

2. I have indeed used that wire but that is sadly was what the original installers in 1986 had used and I'm not removing it from the wall and my tiling to change it!

3. It has a gromit but no, I'll give you that, no grip, just like the previous professional install to the programmer.

4. It's on.

5. I'll give you that.

Thanks for your comments however. I do appreciate them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back