DIY novice battles with Potterton EP2001 boiler programmer..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to both boiler tinkering and forum-using so apologies and many thanks in advance...

Recently moved into a house with a Potterton EP2001 boiler programmer. Whilst the set-up of the time, day, ON1, OFF1 etc is self-explanatory, I can't seem to set the timings for the hot water and those of the central heating separately... surely the heating and water can be set for different times of day not to come on simultaneously!?

Think i'm being an idiot but would be grateful for any pointers...
Cheers :oops:

Sponsored Links
like this?

pott-EP[2].jpg

Thanks for the speedy replies chaps... no I don't have the instructions but I have just found a scruffy scanned version online that talks about the programmer having 'an electrical interlock to protect simple CH systems'...implying that the CH & HW can only be set to come on at the same time...? Could this be the case?

Mine doesn't look as flash as your photo, JohnD, it's just got a square grey LED with 4 touch buttons on each corner and a drop down flap for sett-up...?

Sponsored Links
if you have gravity hw and pumped heating.

the hw will come on with the heating.

it might be a Drayton/ACL Lifestyle with a Potterton badge added.

Post a pic and we'll see who recognises it.

this is a Drayton with another name on it.

74a1_1.JPG

The manual for a Potterton EP2001 definately corresponds to the model I have as all the diagrams & photos look the same... don't have the capacity to stick a photo in as lass off with camera, bugger..!

I suspect the system is gravity HW and pumped CH so reckon you're right seco services, gotta just live with it!

I'll continue trying to comprehend the manual, and see what crops up!

Many thanks everyone, most helpful and reassuring.
Matt

ep2001 has an adjuster on the back which when turned sets it for gravity hw/ pumped ch. so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but looks like your going to have to live with it....

if gravity system the clinder 'should' be supplied with 28mm pipe not the usual 22 for pumped systems..

Thanks for that Jason, I've now been through the manual and meassured the pipework diameter and am sure it's just one of those things... No biggy at the end of the day, just don't like not having the choice...it's a bit all-or-nothingy!

Cheers again all for your time on this... I'll be back with another tiresome novices query soon!

Matt

Gravity Hot water systems usually have separate pipes from the boiler to the hot water cylinder. There may be three pipes (flow to cylinder, flow to heating, common return) or four pipes (as three pipes but with separate returns for cylinder and heating).

If you don't want to go to the expense of converting the whole lot to a fully pumped system,you can convert to what is called a C Plan. This involves inserting a motorized valve in the cylinder return next to the cylinder, which is controlled by a cylinder on the thermostat. The advantages of this are: You have independent control over the hot water temperature and you can have separate times for the heating and hot water.

View media item 827 View media item 73

That's great info for the future D_H, but having looked through various forum responses and blogs on the Potterton EP series (and the brand generally it seems!), it won't be long til it terminally breaks down in an expensive and dramatic way anyway! Whilst a tad annoying, I'll hang on til my hand is forced...!

Cheers for your time and effort; legends all!

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back