DIY Plate HE Repair, No Gas Involved. Couple Of Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ongoing hw problem with my G. W. 30cxi has been dianosed as blocked plate HE on this forum (hw running hot and cold & F14). I need to DIY, due to recent job loss.

Normally removing the PHE involves removing gas components, but I have a cunning plan. My boiler is on a frame in the loft, as a result the back of the boiler is completely open and accessible.

1) Is it feasible to undo the 2 screws, and withdraw the HE through the hole in the back of the boiler?

2) The four connections into the he, are they held in place by the 2 mounting screws above, or do they have unions?

3) I think there are rubber seals for the 4 he connections. Are they re-usable?

4) Can I clean the PHE, if yes, how? Or should I get a new one?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
seals are reusable but you are better getting newones
i recomend replacing it as cleaning is not always effective
and possibly get a magantic filter for the system on the return pipe

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have a Boiler Buddy ready to go on. No other filter will fit, as it's a bungalow and all 22mm F and R pipes are horizontal and close to loft floor.

So, when the 2 torx mounting screws for the PHE are removed, the HE will just pull out of the back of the boiler? The 4 pipes to HE and the seals are just pushed on?

Sponsored Links
yer they just type compesion seal use silcon grease with them and don`t forget to turn the water off and drain the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back