Glow worm 30XCI F14 Again sorry!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i Guys , new to this forum and hoping someone can shed a bit of light on my boiler issue.
My glow worm 30xci is playing up . When you run the shower /hot tap it runs fine for about 2 mins then runs cold for about a minute then runs fine again until you turn of the shower .

I ve monitored the boiler during this cycle and it comes up as F14 (which is CH flow temp is greater than 95'). I ve read some threads that say it could be the plate to plate hx, or the 3 way valve or motor or even pump or PCB . ( The Pcb was changed in oct 2017 before we bought the house).

When at the boiler, the boiler comes on when demand is there and when touching both the CH flow pipe and the HW outlet you get a cold CH flow pipe and and hot HW flow pipe as expected . Then after about 2 minutes the CH flow pipe goes extermely hot very quickly and brings on the F14 fault , Boiler turns off then after about 1 minute fires back up and runs ok. Whist the hot water is running we are also getting the radiators warming up .
Have had a gas safe engineer out who did nt get the f14 fault to appear but adjusted some pressures and basically ruled out a blocked HX . He suggested i change the HW thermistor if i had any further problems which i have but to know avail.( weirdly i can t get hold of the same engineer and am still yet to pay him for his initial house visit despite attempts to contact him).
I guess my long winded question is what is the more likely failing component in the above situation , HX? Diverter valve ? motor ? or PCB again. There is no abnormal noise when running the hot water so i m assumming flow thru the HW side of the HX is ok , so does this mean the prob could be in CH side of the HX ? . Sorry about the long winded thread but could really do with some major pointers.

Cheers look forward to any replies of help/advice or just experiences of the same thing .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply AGAS ( espesh at 4.17 this morning lol ) but was really hoping for a tad more of a difinitive answer lol.

cheers .

Sound plate to me, what was the temperature on either side of it when he measured it?

Sponsored Links
not sure sorry Ollski, i was nt home at the time of his visit. I think he made an adjustment to the incoming pressure as we recently had a water meter fitted and the water board engineer opened the valve fully apparently and we do have quite high pressure in my area. Is it generally the heating side of the plate that gets blocked or the Hot Water side. ?

thanks for the reply .

It's the heating side that gets restricted. Simply if the boiler keeps going off and the water goes hot / cool in a regular cycle then replace the plate heat exchanger.

When you say regular cycle do you mean the the f14 fault would continuously be coming on and of during demand ?

As in this case the fault only occurs the once and then when cleared you get hot water for the duration of a shower for example. ( although rad also stay warm ) .
Cheers Paul

Just a quick update . Removed plate to plate heat exchanger totally cleaned out with one shot (twice ) and flushed thoroughly. Refitted with 4 new seals tried and tested all now working fine .
Just one note for anyone else attempting this. No need to remove gas flow pipe as per manual as exchanger can fit over the diverter valve easily . Thanks for any replies all very helpful .Paul .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back