How To Clean Old Plate HE - To Keep For Spare?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks back, I posted on here with problems re hw running hot and cold, plus F14 on my GW 30 cxi. Thanks to all on here, I managed to take the plate he out of the back of the boiler without any dismantling, as the boiler is on a frame in the loft.

Anyhow, the old HE was blocked with rust particles. I have thoroughly cleaned and flushed system, and added a Boiler Buddy. The new HE is in, and the boiler works perfectly. Is it possible to clean the old HE, as it seems a shame to bin it. I would like to keep it for a spare.

How do I clean it, and what cleaning agents will remove the rusty particles from inside? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most heating engineers can clean plate HE's using a Power Flush machine and special adapters that fit to the plate ;)

Or a ten bob bottle of white vinager and that will clean it overnight give it a rinse in morning then soak it again for a couple of hours . Leaves them like new

Kamco FX2 is very good, cleans both sides. Do one side at a time; pour in neat and then pour hot water in the other side (works better when hot), leave for 10-15 minutes, rinse it out and repeat for the other side. Flush it out with cold water first.

This method was recommended to me by an engineer on here ;) works brilliantly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back