DIY project - AC Generator 2kw from lawn mower engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone who could help me with this little project please?

Mates allotment has been robbed and their generator (2Kw) has been stolen, which they use to power a water pump from a bore-hole.

Turns out they have a lawn mower or rotavator that wasn't taken, presumably due to weight and not being worth much, both working, but not used.

I was having a look around and stumbled on this:

https://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/evosystem/gen2800/

It converts evo engines to be able to run 240v items... would this fit any single piston 4 stroke engine?
The engine on the rotavator looks like the evolution engine... it's a 6.5Hp, 4 stroke jobby,

I don't know much about engines, so thought I'd ask you guys.

Obviously this is a money saving option if they can butcher the engine from machines they currently have.

TIA

Sponsored Links
It converts evo engines to be able to run 240v items... would this fit any single piston 4 stroke engine?

There could be a problem. It maybe that the generator has to be able to adjust the throttle on the 4 stroke to control the rotational speed within the limits of the generator.

This system uses one power unit to drive a variety of accessories.....generator, water pump, pressure washer etc. It's quite a good system that works better in theory than practice, I've found. (I'll justify this by saying that the generator only put out 220v which wasn't enough - on the one I repaired).
The motor has clips / cam locks that connect it to the accessories so it is effectively direct drive.
To fit this to a mower engine (although 6 HP is enough) would require significant alteration to the engine crankshaft and end plate, maybe even conversion to using a pulley drive system which would be a pain.
It's very important that the generator is set to provide the correct voltage at the specified RPM - any increase in RPM would damage some accessories, especially battery charging.
I'd go for a genuine replacement generator, with a Briggs or Honda engine if possible - though some of the Chinese copies (Loncin) are actually quite good!
John :)

Excellent replies, many thanks.

I see the issues as pointed out in your posts.

A suitcase generator would probably be better suited, as it could be removed. Although someone has to carry it around.

Sponsored Links
The suit case generators are very good and quiet - especially the Honda ones but they cost a fortune.
Occasionally Lidl stock their own Parkside make but whatever happens, steer away from two stroke machines if you can!
John :)

Is there maybe an alternative to electric powered pumping ? A small wind powered mechanical pump may be an option, with a water storage butt the pump could be left to run as and when there was wind,

Is there maybe an alternative to electric powered pumping ? A small wind powered mechanical pump may be an option, with a water storage butt the pump could be left to run as and when there was wind,

I'd like to look at wind power, but from my very rudimentary knowledge, presume I would need wind turbine into a battery bank and inverter to convert to 240v.
They run the generator to fill the water tanks... possibly 500-1000 litres every couple of days in Summer, nothing in winter.

The thieves took a grinder to the container box and basically cut through everything in their way, with this in mind it makes then weary of replacing like for like.

Oh a blast from the past. Collage had a lawn mower engine powering an alternator mainly as a dynometor to test engine, but this would work with an inverter to transform to 230 volt.

However direct AC the problem is keeping the generator at the right speed.

Running an engine to power an alternator to power a battery to power an inverter to power a motor to power a pump is inefficient and needlessly complex

You can get a diesel or petrol powered water pump

They've decided to buy a 2Kw+ suitcase generator to try, as they have all chipped in.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back