DIY Pumping Station?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to install a pumping station to pump foul water (inc sewage) from the basement of my new build up to the drain which flows into my septic tank.

Is there any reason why I can't construct the tank myself rather than spend a fortune buying a GRP or similar 'packaged' system? If not, any suggestions as to how? I thought a concrete base & block walls both lined with something impermeable (bitumen paint, resin ...), a beam and block roof with a brick access-way and standard man hole lid.

The 'tank' needs to be about a 800mm cubed (internal dims). The brick access way would be about 500mm square (internal dims) and needs to be about 1m high (from top of tank to ground level).

Any thoughts? MW

Sponsored Links
martinwinlow said:
Hi, I need to install a pumping station to pump foul water (inc sewage) from the basement of my new build up to the drain which flows into my septic tank.
If you really have to do this, then buy a Saniflow.

Is there any reason why I can't construct the tank myself rather than spend a fortune buying a GRP or similar 'packaged' system?
Yes. This is why:

If not, any suggestions as to how?

I thought a concrete base & block walls both lined with something impermeable (bitumen paint, resin ...), a beam and block roof with a brick access-way and standard man hole lid.

The 'tank' needs to be about a 800mm cubed (internal dims). The brick access way would be about 500mm square (internal dims) and needs to be about 1m high (from top of tank to ground level).

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that I would like to see a photograph of your face on the day it goes wrong.

Seriously - have a rethink.

Its fairly normal in that situation for larger units to have 2-5 cu m of storage so that there is a day or so of storage until the fault can be fixed if its not pumping.

And the storage is external and not in the basement!

These matters are of great interest to Builing Control officers!

I have this vision of your 0.8 cu m of storage becoming full and over flowing within an hour or two and filling up your basement to the point that you cannot get access to fix the fault!

Oh yes, what happens if there is a power cut??? Or will you include a standby gene? Be aware that motors are highly inductive and a 800w gene will not normally run even a 500w motor.

Tony

People - Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Um... I obviously didn't word my original post very well.

The holding tank is outside. The goo flows under gravity via a soil pipe laid under the basement slab (which is only a 'basement' on 3 sides - the house is built into sloping ground and the front is at ground level... heck, see www.winlow.co.uk!).

The general concept of the pumping station is very common for lifting single and multiple houses poo up to the mains. I'm just lifting it up so it can run into the existing septic tank, up higher than the - now - ground floor level.

Yes, if it was just a hole with a dodgy pump in it, it would be ideal to have a large capacity, just in case. But these systems are designed for the job with beefy pumps etc and, combined with high level alarms (and possibly even an auto mains supply cut off in the event of a high level alarm) the likelyhood of poo-based disasters is minimal.

So, the original issue was whether or not a simple brick built tank would do and if so, if it would need lining with anything to stop the contents leaking out through the walls. I've been doing a little research in the meantime and see that it can be done. I guess everyone just opts for the easy packaged solution these days. GRP tank with pump, pipe etc all in situ - plop it in the hole and back fill with concrete. But the cost! £1k easy.

Sponsored Links
martinwinlow said:
But these systems are designed for the job with beefy pumps etc and, combined with high level alarms (and possibly even an auto mains supply cut off in the event of a high level alarm) the likelyhood of poo-based disasters is minimal.

"Famous last words" !!!

Perhaps you like the idea of assuming that nothing will go wrong but I can assure you that things do!

When I go on a plane I am comforted by the fact that the systems have been designed with the assumption that anything can go wrong and there is a system or procedure for dealing with ANY failure.

Yes, you can tank a brick enclosure to try to make it waterproof however thats not always reliable and a Building Control officer would need to be very convinced that it will be effective. Normally much better and easier to use the standard solution.

Tony

martinwinlow said:
Is there any reason why I can't construct the tank myself rather than spend a fortune buying a GRP or similar 'packaged' system? If not, any suggestions as to how?

The main reason is that you haven't done it before and so there is a fairly high risk that you'll balls it up. If you do it regularly, the risk decreases with your experience.

http://www.grundfos.co.uk/web/homeUK.nsf/Webopslag/DMAR-685JBK

Grundfos or similar do it everyday and there's a very small possibility that they'll balls it up. Ring them up, tell them what you want to do, they'll suggest a pump or sewage lifting station and quote a price.

You could build a tank, but a plastic/GRP job will be cheaper if your time is of any value. Leakage of sewage into the ground will get you a severe telling off, or something, if you're caught.

Have you thought of putting in a treatment plant and losing the septic tank (which will need very frequent emptying)?

If you could site a Titan eco or Klargester a suitable distance from your cellar the plip plops could go straight in. All the treatment plants have an optional pumped outlet for situations where the drain is higher. These incorporate the anti backflow etc that you would need to put into your interim tank, and would treat the sewage into the bargain. You might then only need a pump out every year.

Just a suggestion, don't know your exact circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back