300L foul pumping station - any better options ?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked with Building Control that this will be big enough? Regs require sufficient storage capacity for 24 hours worth of effluent, based on a minimum discharge of 150l per day in a domestic situation, in the event of power failure or malfunction. At 300l that would only provide sufficient capacity for 2 people.

Yes it's a flat so working on that basis 2 people is correct.

Sponsored Links
Any setup is basically a holding tank, and a pump, operated by a float switch to operate the pump when the level rises, so that would suffice I am sure, although bear in mind, at 300 litres the tank you propose is only 1/3rd bigger than an oil drum!

Main component is the pump, if this packs up then you are in the deep do do in more ways than one. I would look for a supplier that can offer references for equipment already in the field and working, as a guide to the performance and durability of their kit. Sewage is quite a demanding medium, water and human waste is one thing, but sanitary products, the dreaded wipes etc can soon wreck a pump. You are then faced with the dubious task of extracting the pump from a pit full of effluent to replace it....

Any pumping station run by the Water Companies will have at least two pumps fitted (more if 'busy'), to allow at least one spare if the other fails. These pumps are installed on vertical rails to allow the pump to be raised and removed, and a replacement lowered back in from the surface, even if the chamber is full of water.

I am surprised that the original one is so cheap. Its not even twice the cost of a macerator!

But the OP says its flat. What do the other flats use?

Most ( better ) arrangements have a single pump station for all flats with ideally two pumps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back