DIY Roof Insulation & Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our extension is nearing completion and I have a newly constructed kitchen roof with a hip end and vaulted ceiling to insulate and plasterboard.

The design spec. suggests Celotex GA4000 @ 100mm between the rafters and PL4040 (40mm bonded with 12.5mm PB) to underside. I am contemplating doing this myself (there will be two of us). Is this a practical DIY project? From a brief look at the product literature, the GA400 is sawn to slightly oversize to provide a friction fit between the rafters, and then the bonded PB is fitted with the long side across the rafters.

I can readily hire a scaffold tower on wheels to move around under the roof, and I have plenty of time in the run-up to Christmas. If I can get the PB up, I'll get in a plasterer to skim walls + ceiling for a good finish.

I have the walls to PB too, of course, and I was going to use standard 12.5mm sheets on 10mm adhesive. Should I do the ceiling first, and then the walls, or the walls, then the ceiling? I will want to be sure to get a level and straight join all the way around.

Is this the sort of job where if you have a good plasterer available, he will put up the boards so much more quickly (and better?) than I could, that it isn't worth having a go ...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats a diy project from heaven if you have the time and physical ability.
Keep the insulation tight and foil tape all the joins, I would work round the perimeter 1st working my way up.

If you choose to get a man in it would be a joiner...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back