DIY Sec Heat Exchanger replacement- Legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we had a flush with replacement secondary heat exchanger done through Swalec on a Halstead High Ace boiler just under 2 year ago and now Swalec say the problem has returned and want us to pay for same job again! (had inhibitor too)

I've seen the part on ebay for about £60 and was going to get an independent engineer to do it but have seen a couple of posts about people doing it themselves, I'm just wondering if this is safe/legal to do and if so how easy is it,

many thanks, Jon

Sponsored Links
depending on boiler it can be relatively straightforward. However because the appliance is a gas appliance, it would be illegal for you to work on it, even if you are not working on the gas pipework/connections within the boiler. I may be wrong but I have a cope of gas safe regs and they state "work" can only be done by those who are deemed competent, and competency can ONLY be achieved by doing the ACS qualification (and passing it), then registering with Gas Safe. That's my understanding of the regs.

However i'm sure one of the gas lads will be able to give a more definite answer.

As long as you don't disturb ANY gas carrying parts or venture into the combustion chamber, you are ok to change the plate heat exchanger yourself. Good luck with that.

Turn it round on swalec and tell them they didnt flush it correctly in the first place :D

If a system is correctly fitted and flushed properly it shouldnt clog up again in 2 years.

Sponsored Links
inhibitor suspends dirt which then gets "baked" on the hot surfaces of the plate...

no surprise there!

Thats a new one from Alec ,I have cleaned out thousands of secondary plates and never seen anything like that

Usaul one is magnetite clogs the plate thus reducing heat transfer or on the potable water side scale builds up

I have photos of a few on my profile

It's fair to say that the only plates I have had issues with have been those wth inhibitor in... I never use the stuff now, and haven't for several years...and no problems to date..

might be worth who ever opens up the sealed chamber (gsr) to access the plate. that they check the ch filter first as this will affect dhw performance as well. the position its in.

Jon, I would be inclined to put the blame on the those who PFed the system. Often done incorrectly, so muck remains in th the system. Put in a new HE which then succumbs to muck that is in the system. Seen this often

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back