Plate heat exchanger keeps clogging up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
my radiators work fine but every 6 months or so my water starts running cold (Halstead Ace High Gas combi). I get the heat exchanger changed and it's great again for another 6 months. When I drain the radiators the water that comes out is a little dark but not sludgy as such but there is visible black particles in the heat exchangers that are taken out. Incidentally, the system is always filled with inhibitor and a few years ago I got the system flushed but it didn't seem the have any lasting effect; there is a magnetic filter too.

My question is, what is causing this?, is one of the radiators disintegrating some how?, if so how can I ascertain which one?, I've considered getting a new boiler but am concerned that the problem may still be there and that will clog up too.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it clogging up on the Ch side or the mains water side, are you in a hard water area? How old are the radiators?

Hi, thanks for the reply.
So I guess your asking which side of the heat exchanger is clogging up, truth is I don't know, until I looked at an unblocking video today I didn't realise the 2 sides had separate flows. I'm in a hard water area.

PS. most radiators are of a newish type- double wall with vent thing over the top edge, there are a few which are the older type but nothing ancient.

Sponsored Links
Suppose you could try installing a magnetic filter on the return to the boiler, but to have to fit a new plate heat exchanger every six months would indicate a very dirty system which you dont seem to have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back