Power flush or Magna Clean for blocked DHW heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our boiler is cycling on and off during demand for hot water and turns out the heat exchanger in the Alpha boiler is clogged up. The boiler engineer is going to replace the heat exchanger and said a power flush should help avoid this happening again.

When we use the radiators, they heat up really well and there are no cold spots. Considering that and the potential risk of a power flush upsetting the delicate world order and unearthing any leaks(!), I was wondering if it made sense to install a Magna clean filter when the new heat exchanger is fixed; and keep cleaning the filter regularly till it starts collecting less gunk?

How much would it cost to get a mangna clean filter fitted in the London area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is little point asking for prices - we can't see the job.

A Magnaclean won't catch every bit of muck first pass anyway, so if there is sludge in the system it will still collect in the boiler. Best to get rid of it properly.

Generally it takes a very little dirt to block a plate heat exchanger, perhaps just 2-4 cu cm of dirt.

If it has taken several years for yours to block then it is likely to take several years again.

Fitting a mag filter is probably a good idea but they don't collect as much dirt as we would like or expect.

I had to clean a plate again after just three years in spite of the mag filter.

Although power flushing is certainly good for a dirty system it never clears all the dirt but is hardly justified on a lightly dirty system like yours.

I clean plate heat exchangers as this is more cost effective and at my charges it is rarely economic to do anything else at all although a mag filter gives people a nice feeling.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input, I was probably aiming for that nice feeling if it does not cost the earth ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back