power flushing : does it clean the Dhw heat exchanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy,
I've had the dhw heat exchanger on my boiler changed twice within a year and a half. The gas engineer who fixed it recommended a power flush.
I had quotes from several plumbers. One plumber(ex british gas engineer) said that a chemical flush would be enough and that a powerflush didn't clean the boiler and heat exchanger. When I mentionned that to another plumber he said that it was wrong and that powerflushing did clean the heat exchanger. He said he connects his Kamco machine directly on the boiler pump and that the chemicals circulate through the boiler and heat exchangers.
Who do I believe? And what is best?
By the way the guy who recommended the chemical flush said that powerflushing often opens a can of worms as it can weaken joints in rads and piping.
Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would never expect to clean the baked on sludge from a secondary heat exchanger with power flushing. I usually say to customers I will replace secondary heat exchanger but only if you let me fit a magnaclene on the return pipe at the same time. then it wont happen again as long as the magnaclene filter is cleaned every year when boiler is serviced.

Both methods are possible as a Powerflush can be done in different ways.

Some guys only clean the system and leave the boiler, other guys will clean the heat exchangers too by using a pump-head adaptor and aggressive chemicals with their machine.

Neither guys are wrong, it's just different methods. If the guy with the kamco machine says he can do it without replacing your heat exchangers then fair enough. Sounds like the ex BG guy will sort the route cause out but not the blocked plate.

Either guy should guarantee their method/results.

Anyone reading should be aware that MOST people quoting for power flushing do NOT intend to clean the plate HE. Many do not even know how to do that either!

With a dirty system its important to ensure anyone quoting is quoting to fix the fault with at least six months guaranty.

Without seeing it, then I would expect that chemically cleaning the system and then fitting a mag filter together with removing the plate and cleaning it will probably be adequate.

Power flushing is often seen as a money grabbing exercise by those who do it. Yes, I can and will do power flushing but in many cases I can take the view that its not essential.

An important aspect of power flushing is using the right chemicals for the job! Power flushing without the best chemicals is almost a waste of time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's true to say that Powerflushing is over used and quite the money spinner but with the right equipment and chemicals the system and heat exchangers can all be done together.

but a flush won't clean the domestic side (hot water) of a plate hex, so if your prob is scale due to hard water you only way to do it is to remove the plate hex soak it or replace it

but a flush won't clean the domestic side (hot water) of a plate hex, so if your prob is scale due to hard water you only way to do it is to remove the plate hex soak it or replace it

A poor lack of understanding.

very quick and easy on most combis to disconnect the hot and cold and connect on to powerflusher to descale.

How do you think we clean powermax etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back