heatline c24 heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help,I have a heatline c24 combi boiler just over 3 years old it has been serviced regular,The problem was the hot water was cutting out at 30 degrees a engineer from british gas(contract) came out and cleaned the heat exchanger he said i needed a power flush and a magni clean,I got both of these done by a local heating engineer,after 3 weeks the same problem returned,British gas came out again and cleaned the heat exchanger again also the magni clean was very dirty.This happened again and they refused to repair so i got original engineer out to powerflush again,After 2 weeks same problem,I told engineer that powerflushed about the problem he said it has nothing to do with him he powerflushed it and will not return again.Does this sound like he is not powerflushing it properly or could it be something else.
Sorry for long thread hope someone can help

Sponsored Links
The original power flush was poorly done & BG should have replaced the heat exchanger, cleaning HEs will never work if the system is manky..........To be frank, it's all a bit of a mish-mash, he did this & he did that!! If you paid a decent RGI to look after your boiler & system, then I'd say you'd not have this problem.

Your local heating engineer & BG are mince, they both have failed to give you good service. The BG CPSs are lead by the nose & their laptops, the local guy has not done the power flush correctly. Simples!!!

Hi Thanks that s what i thought ,Just wanted to check with people who know what there talking about, The local engineer who done the powerflush said he also put in a new heat exchanger at the time of the first flush,This has all been in the space of 7 months,

Your boiler can be bought for about £360 !

No one ever pays an installer to clean the system and install the boiler properly. We charge £840 for example!

Power flushing usually costs about £350 and takes the best part of a day and uses chemicals.

Your system was obviously not cleaned at the installation time. The person who power flushed the system obviously did not do it properly. I am left wondering how much you paid him. Presumable he brought a big pump and worked on it for hours going back and forth into each room?

Strictly speaking BG dont usually even deal with a blocked plate heat exchanger as dirt problems are excluded from their contract. Some engineers will clean them but say that any further dirt will not be covered unless the system is power flushed, ideally by BG themselves at about £600.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Good point Tony, I'm sure Rose has forked out more than £360!!... :eek:

Ok Rose what i would like to know is what condition are your radiators in i know the boiler is fairly new but are the rads twenty years old and never had any inhibitor in

Unfortunately if this is the case then the metal oxides will carry on breaking off inside your rads even with a powerflush

Now do you have magnaclean professional fitted ....this is the black plastic canister with red label,if so this isn't good enough,all it can do is stop some magnetic particles entering the HE,ideally you need to have spirotech combi installed ,which can stop magnetic as well as no magnetic particles

Normally on job like this we would do site survey and advise the customer as necessary sometime a powerflush and rads changed out is the only way

The heating circuit should have been cleaned thoroughly and using a vibrating tool on all rads to get rid of all magnetic particle or lose metal,we would have isolated the boiler and cleaned this separately taking particular care to make sure the main He was cleaned out ,removing and cleaning the plate heat exchanger would have also be done

This amount of work can quite easily take up all day ,but then we are not just installers,but repair many different boilers relying on our reputation to bring in more work

This is the way a professional independent would do things being conscientious to local customer who will provide work in the future and recommend us to others

Hi i paid £1300 for the boiler and fitted with safety cert ,about 3 years ago i dont know any thing about central heating or boilers thats why i paid a qualified engineer like i do for all properties i rent out,If the boiler was that much i did not know,The power flush and exchanger cost £500 again from a qualified engineer, all you can do is put your trust in someone,I am not from the area so do not know anyone to get ref; from, If it is of your oppinion that the flush was not done properly i will contact the local engineer again.Thanks for your help

then Rose unfortunately the guy who flushed the system doesn't know what he is doing,or could not be bothered doing the job correctly .It seems you have paid sensible money for job which has not been done correctly

Get on his case and get him to do it again until he cleans out the system properly

Also the installer you used for this boiler i suggest you find some one else,he is obviously charging proper money ,but cutting corners.

The worst enemy of any modern condensing boiler is dirt in the system,this has to be cleaned meticulously unfortunately your original installer did not do this,thus eliviating the problem with sludge in your boiler

Thankyou very much for your help happy and everyone else this has been very helpful and i will now deal with the engineer with confidence that he has not done his job properly.Thanks again all ...

I was talking to a registered installer today who said he had quoted £1100 to supply and fit a Heatline boiler. That was too much for the landlord!

Later the landlord fell out with the unregistered cheap installer and the registered one had to take over theinstallation, power flushing and upgrading the 15 mm gas suppy pipe.

Its still not working on heating but I am helping him with some advice.

Tony

what do you want us to do stand up and sing kumbaya................Don't see why not, I'm always up for a good 'sing song'!!

Good luck Rose hen, I hope you get sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back