Blocked heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had secondary heat exchanger replaced on ultracom2 30cxi fitted with magnaclean2. I guess my rads held on to some sludge after the powerflush we gave it when installing the new boiler and gradually dumped it into the heat exchanger. Is there any additional filter i can add? I kept some of the black crud that came out in a jar and even with a neodymium magnet its reluctantly magnetic. My rads are 25 years old but i dont want to replace them when a simple gauze filter would catch the debris. I guess gauze is a no-no on central heating systems?
I suppose i could fit a 15 mm gauze filter on every rad return as theres only 7, a bit ugly tho.

Be grateful for any advice

Very pleased with ultracom otherwise. The heat exchangers are only about 100 pounds but i dont want to be pulling one out at every service.

Sponsored Links
is the filter fitted on the return just before the boiler?

Yup, magnaflow is in cabinet below boiler about 600mm on return. Also, yes thanks have looked at spirotech but read mixed revues, do you recommend for non-magnetic sludge?

Thanks for replies

Sponsored Links
They are pretty good, will pick up all debris magnetic or not. The problem is people clear them without removing the magnet so think they aren't collecting muck when in fact the magnet keeps all the ferrous material in the filter.

Thanks for this oilski, i'll ask my plumber/installer/friend if he removed the magnet when he serviced it in feb, when we discussed the exchanger prob he said he didn't get all that much out of it, so i'll check.

You could fit a gauze filter just below the boiler, but would have to check it often if its full of carp.

Thanks gigz, yes i was just looking at 22mm y strainers which are about 6 quid at toolstation. Like you say, just below boiler and after the magnaclean would catch any big stuff that whizzed past the magnet. I totally get the fact that i'd have to check it regularly, if i put a couple of 22 valves either side it should make it a breeze.

If you put it between mag filter and boiler then you already have valves either side of it.

What part of Dorset?

Some parts have quite hard water!

Calcium produces non magnetic dirt.

Tony

The heat exchangers are only about 100 pounds but i dont want to be pulling one out at every service.

Hope you kept the old one to swap over if it happens again. With a bit of patience and the right technique, they can be cleaned to virtually as new performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back