DIY site or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I get confused about this site occasionally when I get responses to my posts. Whenever I ask for advice so many people come back to say that I should get a professional in rather than doing it myself. Does this not rather defeat the object of the forum?

I understand that there are certain tasks that need professionals, and I have been hiring them where it is a requirement or where they add value beyond my skill set. However I am a DIY enthusiast and the professionals I have brought in have been very impressed at my work e.g. having completely rewired my house and installed cat6, coax etc my electrician (who had helped plan and sign off the work) could not find a single fault, and actually offered me a job.

So why are people so resistant to answering questions about even basic stuff like preparing walls for plastering? Is it that most people on this site are professionals themselves and don't want people like me doing this kind of work?

---------------
That said. I really value the great answers that I have gotten from some members. There is a great wealth of really useful information on here that I very much value. So a big thanks to all those who contribute. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Its because the guys coming back are either professionals themselves with little to do or given the questions asked - people dont think the OP is upto the task. :)

I guess I get confused about this site occasionally when I get responses to my posts. Whenever I ask for advice so many people come back to say that I should get a professional in rather than doing it myself. Does this not rather defeat the object of the forum?

Out of curiosity, what kind of things are these people suggesting you shouldn't have a go at, yourself?

That said. I really value the great answers that I have gotten from some members. There is a great wealth of really useful information on here that I very much value. So a big thanks to all those who contribute. :mrgreen:

Now then, that's interesting, because I was going to ask a frivolous question the other day, and decided not to. But I will now - what is the "Mr Green" icon :mrgreen: meant to signify? ;) I think I'm missing something.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
given the questions asked - people dont think the OP is upto the task. :)
This mainly.

Agreed, but mainly (in my experience) in the electrical section which, from a danger and regs compliance point of view, makes sense.

I read half the threads in there to increase my understanding and half to marvel at some of the tasks that some people think they can undertake themselves.

To be fair, the electrical forum used to be a lot worse until a certain gentleman decided to decamp to the Building sub-forum. His default response was to throw books of regulations at people and cause many an argument.
Since he moved out, though, I have found a lot more pragmatic and practical advice. A recurring statement from pro electricians there is "well, it's clear he's going to do it anyway so let's give him as much info as possible in the hope that he does as safe a job as possible".

So as Gerald/Richard states, I wonder which sub-forums you feel you have received the most pushback from?

Finally, I am personally very grateful to the many professional people who take time to help us DIYers out.

Edit: Fixed for Gerald/Richard's name :D

Agreed, but mainly (in my experience) in the electrical section which, from a danger and regs compliance point of view, makes sense.

It's mostly wiring that frightens me. If I don't understand what I'm replacing or extending, I get help.

And plastering. I am privileged to know a time served and reasonably priced plasterer.

Anything else is fair game. It's not as if it's rocket science.

Cheers
Richard

I agree.

Wiring, because people's lives really do depend on it, and plastering because it's a total black art that ninjas are awesome at and the rest of us (especially me) are crap at!

(and I fixed my reference to your name, above!)

The electrical and gas forums give the occasional push back and I somewhat understand it. That said, I personally prefer the posts that provide information as well as caveats as to where the OP may be out of their league. Each individual is different and has varying ability so we cannot assume that all posters are morons and should not be tackling anything harder than hanging a picture.

The post that has frustrated me the most is the plastering and rendering forum. I wanted advice on preparing walls ready for my plasterer to do a skim coat and just received multiple posts indicating that it is too difficult and taxing for me/anyone. This was not useful, I am sure most here could do the basics of prep. Unscrewing some sockets and covering them, applying PVA mixes to walls, removing old raw plugs etc etc.

I get that plastering is meant to be a dark art, but I personally believe in trying anything once. So I am going to give it a go (at the back of the wall which will be home to my built in wardrobe). I will also prep my walls as much as possible and pay for a professional to skim them, but I am not going to pay a highly skilled person a premium hourly rate (which they rightly deserve) for doing donkey work.

I get that plastering is meant to be a dark art, but I personally believe in trying anything once. So I am going to give it a go (at the back of the wall which will be home to my built in wardrobe). I will also prep my walls as much as possible and pay for a professional to skim them, but I am not going to pay a highly skilled person a premium hourly rate (which they rightly deserve) for doing donkey work.

I certainly agree about the donkey work, and wouldn't discourage you from having a go at the plastering itself. It was a matter of time for me - I needed a lot of plastering doing and it would have taken me six times as long to do badly what this chap could do well in a day.

But when it comes to other trades, if you're not in a hurry you can learn what to do, and do a good a job, which will be as you want it to be. I used to style myself an "approximate carpenter" (measure once, cut twice, put a bit back), but I got better. One day I'll clear the workshop of junk, get better tools and have a go at some joinery.

The only way to learn is to find out how to do it and to have a go.

Cheers
Richard

I certainly agree about the donkey work, and wouldn't discourage you from having a go at the plastering itself. It was a matter of time for me - I needed a lot of plastering doing and it would have taken me six times as long to do badly what this chap could do well in a day.

But when it comes to other trades, if you're not in a hurry you can learn what to do, and do a good a job, which will be as you want it to be. I used to style myself an "approximate carpenter" (measure once, cut twice, put a bit back), but I got better. One day I'll clear the workshop of junk, get better tools and have a go at some joinery.

The only way to learn is to find out how to do it and to have a go.

Cheers
Richard

This is exactly my approach. I like to try things, even things that are meant to be hard. Where there is a real art to a trade I am more than happy to pay a professional, but if I don't understand the task myself I am on the back foot when it comes to selecting a tradesman and when it comes to defining my requirement with them.

Double glazing is a key example. There is no way that I want to install a whole house of glazing, but understanding the principles and the trade have put me in a strong place with my suppliers. When defining the glazing I am confident in what I am asking for as I know the options and advantages and disadvantages of each; understanding how the windows are fitted have allowed me to cheaply get some failing aluminium flashing replaced with lead at low cost; and finally the suppliers are giving me good prices as they know I am clued up.

Knowledge is power, so I like to investigate, understand, try, reflect. Then I can work out where to get the experts and where not to.

[/quote]This is exactly my approach. I like to try things, even things that are meant to be hard. Where there is a real art to a trade I am more than happy to pay a professional, but if I don't understand the task myself I am on the back foot when it comes to selecting a tradesman and when it comes to defining my requirement with them.

Double glazing is a key example. There is no way that I want to install a whole house of glazing, but understanding the principles and the trade have put me in a strong place with my suppliers. When defining the glazing I am confident in what I am asking for as I know the options and advantages and disadvantages of each; understanding how the windows are fitted have allowed me to cheaply get some failing aluminium flashing replaced with lead at low cost; and finally the suppliers are giving me good prices as they know I am clued up.

Knowledge is power, so I like to investigate, understand, try, reflect. Then I can work out where to get the experts and where not to.[/quote]

Well said young man ;) ...pinenot :)

What's the difference between an electrician and God.?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God does not think he is an electrician. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back