DIY Solid wall insulation

27 Jun 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have been insulating floors - 200mm rock wool between the joists -, pipes - better and thicker foam lagging -, and solid walls - either dry lining with various materials like kingspan 65mm, polystyrene 100mm or batons with rockwool or triiso for the very first walls and before the insulation regs seem to have been introduced.
I started back in 2000 when we moved into this house.

I have only just learnt about some building regs concerning wall and floor insulation.

My question now is: Do I have to notify BC if I insulate a wall when I do a room up and apply for energy efficiency certificates and so on?

I understand that a low U-value means low heat loss but I cannot calculate this myself and getting people in to do this is getting too costly.
Also many texts concerning building regs are written in such an English that I start switch off mentally after a few paragraphs.

I have one more room with a solid wall that I need insulate later this year or early next year.
Sponsored Links
My question now is: Do I have to notify BC if I insulate a wall when I do a room up

Strictly, yes, but why bother? Why pay good money to the timeservers and council-tax funded busybodies in Building Control, just for them to say 'yes, we agree to you improving your home, and here's a bit of paper giving our approval'?
Spend your money on better insulation; who's to know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links