DIY SOS - SIPS extension up in 9 hours

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched DIY SOS last night for the first time in ages.
They put up a SIPs extension in about 9 hours.
Amazing. Why can't all extensions and house refurbs be done this quick? I think I'd happily pay 40 builders to do my place in a week rather than 4 builders 10 weeks!

Sponsored Links
Watched DIY SOS last night for the first time in ages.
They put up a SIPs extension in about 9 hours.
Amazing. Why can't all extensions and house refurbs be done this quick? I think I'd happily pay 40 builders to do my place in a week rather than 4 builders 10 weeks!
"Too many cooks spoil the broth" so loads of builders may get in each others way. Or-
"Many hands make light work" So its
"Six of one, half a dozen of the other"
Bloody proverbs.

Its not really true, its comparing a prefabricated construction with site construction.

In reality the SIPs frame will have been specified, drawn, approved and booked into production 8 weeks earlier. So in reality the timescale isnt much different its just that more elements are external to the site.

Also conventional site construction has a number of delays whilst materials like concrete, brickwork, plastering dry out.

It is possible to condense construction timing but builders dont build 1 job a year, they have a constant pipeline of projects and they are using a set of sub contractors that also have a constant pipeline of projects. In reality delays are due to scheduling conflicts. Add on the delays due client decisions or design changes and issues with material delivery delays and its easy to see why a house extension generally takes 3 or 4 months not a matter of days.

Great though SIPs is in theory, its generally more expensive for anything other complete builds. Future alterations are very difficult.

A very good thing about SIPs is that when used for the roof usually allow for an additional story without much extra cost.

Its not really true, its comparing a prefabricated construction with site construction.

In reality the SIPs frame will have been specified, drawn, approved and booked into production 8 weeks earlier. So in reality the timescale isnt much different its just that more elements are external to the site.

Also conventional site construction has a number of delays whilst materials like concrete, brickwork, plastering dry out.

It is possible to condense construction timing but builders dont build 1 job a year, they have a constant pipeline of projects and they are using a set of sub contractors that also have a constant pipeline of projects. In reality delays are due to scheduling conflicts. Add on the delays due client decisions or design changes and issues with material delivery delays and its easy to see why a house extension generally takes 3 or 4 months not a matter of days.

Great though SIPs is in theory, its generally more expensive for anything other complete builds. Future alterations are very difficult.

A very good thing about SIPs is that when used for the roof usually allow for an additional story without much extra cost.

What about these huff houses - you ever been involved with them?

Sponsored Links
What about that beautiful Yong girl and her family. They made a lovely home for them. I had a tear

huff houses or hoff houses or even hauf house ?? . they built one down this way in partnership with viessmann it was installed ? or was to be installed with an Ice powered heating system ?? A U.K first apparently ? dunno if it got off the ground ??

Hmm. An extension made out of plywood and expanded foam thrown up in a day, or a proper brick built one built with the necessary skill and time. Call me old fashioned, but I'll take the latter every time.

What about these huff houses - you ever been involved with them?

No. AFAIK Huf haus is a specific German company, although they were involved in developing thermally efficient houses.

There are plenty of companies manufacturing passiv hauf buildings.

Ive been involved in Sandia Hus projects, they build with SIPs. Scandia build the shell then a builder does the external skin, services etc.

SIPs kits are popular with self builders. The big advantage is 3 weeks and the building is sealed in, work on the exterior and interior can be undway at the same time.

Ive done SIPs kit costing for extensions, but the cost is too high with minimal benefit.

Sponsored Links
Back