Gulley in the wrong place for downpipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -this is my second issue.

I had an extension built a while ago and the builder basically failed to complete the job- leaving me with things like the guttering and drainage to complete for the building certificate.

As we had no where for waste from the sink to go this was the first thing we had done- getting a plumber to install the waste pipe and conect the washing machine waste to it, drill a hole through the external wall and create a conection to the waste pipes underground. the gulley leading into it was placed directly under the kitchen window and the waste pipe drops into that.

Now, with a week off, I was thinking about finally getting the guttering up but the position of the gulley is causing me some headaches. Obviously, the guttering will run along the top of the extension with the necessary slope, but according to my trusty diy books, the downpipe has to be completely vertical so how can i get it to drop into the gulley? (I've included a picture to show the position of the gulley to the end of the extension)
View media item 8635
The obvious thing might be to move the position of the gully but all that work was already agreed with the Building inspector and I'd rather not change any of it inderground, especially as current finances mean I can't get anyone in to do it and it will be a diy job.

It's also worth mention that I know the gulley is positioned too low in the ground and I plan to extend that up to above the DPC this week too.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i assume from the image that the gully in question is a foul water gully and not for the purpose of draining stormwater?

have you not been instructed to drain the stormwater into a soakaway at no closer than 5m to the building?

unless you're got a cesspit rain water should not be run into the foul water system.
find your pipe work from your existing gutters and tie into that.

Hi. It is not clear where you intend to discharge the RWP. If combined drainage systems are allowed in your area/case it should not be a problem. However a separate system requires RWP. to be connected to a storm drain or soak away and soil and waste to a foul drain. Check out where existing RWP on main building discharge, this should give you a clue as to the type of system employed. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all responses. I didn't realise there were different drainage systems. I was really worried about having guttering criss-crossing across the front of the extension but I think I have a new problem.

I'll have a look at the main guttering on the house and see where it leads to but I think the drainpipe runs down at the front of the house and so is unlikely to be an option.

We weren't instructed to do anything as the builder just left and became incommunicado and we are just trying to tick off the remaining requirements for the building certificate (i.e. guttering and extractor fan).

I'm thinking that the soakaway will be the only option but I'm not sure exactly what that is or how I do that. Also, have just had a look at the back garden and if I created a soakaway 5m away from the house, it would be about 2m away from the garage at the end of the garden. So my new questions are:

1) Would that be a problem with the garage?
2) Would the building inspector be likely to allow that?
3) Is there any other alternative?

Any advice is much apreciateda s always.

I'm now off to google 'soakaways'.

Well, I sent off an email to building control yesterday evening and received a call first thing this morning! Obviously, I didn't answer it as 8am on my week off is a bit too early but the nice guy on the voicemail said that if it was a combined drains system- and he thinks that it is around my area- that it wouldn't be a problem. Hooray!

But he told me to make sure it is- how do I do that? The drain from the main house gutterings enters into a direct drain connection at the front of the house.

I don't think the guttering will get done this week- might have to wait til easter hols- but I am hoping to re-lay some concrete slabs that were moved when the extension was being built and so it would be good to know that I won't have to dig it all up to run a pipe down to a soakaway.

Hi. The building control may well come a round and offer advise as to compliance. Both you and the BC. want it get it right. Get some help. Good Luck

If there is a manhole at the front of the house, you may find that the rainwater enters it as well as the soil waste. This would be a combined system. The RWP would need a trap in this instance.

Thank you- I'm pretty sure that's what we have. I remember a builder or someone saying something about how I could put an ensuite in at the front or facilities up in the loft as it would be easy enough to connect to the drains at the front, but that was ages ago and I forgot.

In short, Yes, there is a manhole at the front! :D I'll still get the inspector round to check it but I think I can get on with laying my concrete slabs with relative peace of mind.

I don't know about the trap and where that goes on the RWP and what it's for but I can check with the inspector.

Thanks so much for all advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back