Diy sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 1950s semi. I live next door to a house which is rented out room by room to all different people. They are all reasonable but they do all make noise at regular times of day and night. It's like having 4 living rooms joining onto our party wall. None of them are out of order and I get on with the landlord well. I just don't wish to be the serial complainer here.

I would very much like to construct something to make this a thing of the past. I know that anything will only get rid of reasonable noise. I'm not asking to get rid of bass or music. Just talking and tv sounds.

Our party wall adjoins our neighbours house and forms the walls of my two bedrooms. I understand I can do stuff to the party wall but my concern is I have a wall running perpendicular to the party wall which splits my two bedrooms.

I understand that the party wall is a 9 inch block? In the loft there is cinderblock (looks harder than breeze block) so I am sure this is the construction of it all. The courses look like there is three laid normally and then an odd course on its side, then it's repeated.

My two questions, if I may:

1. What's the best DIY method of sorting this.
2. Would I need to worry about the wall between our bedrooms.

If anyone can help me, I can email a floor plan of our house.

Many thanks in advance.

Carl [/img]

Sponsored Links
You're right to be concerned about the wall between your bedrooms.

You can build all sorts of sound-proofing against the party wall (and there's plenty of info on this forum) but it can still come as flanking transmission through the front and rear walls, and particularly the thinner bedroom wall.

Try with the party walls (and you will get some improvement) but do not let your expectations be too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back