DIY Torch On Bitumen Parapet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, around in Brighton to stop parapet leaks the preferred method seems to be torch on bitumen in sheets about 0.5m long. Is this possible to do diy? What is the procedure and equipment?
I assume the render needs to be made good.
For the torch, is there a mini hand-held alternative to a large tank?
Etc...
Thanks
I have just taken this picture from the internet as an example (ignore the leadwork its just a random pic that is close enough). Cheers

p1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is this possible to do diy
Using a felting torch isn't really for Diyers.
They can be dangerous, heating the bitumen on the felt needs to be just enough to get the felt to stick to the roof, too much heat and you burn a hole in the felt.
You could try cold fix bitumen, prime the substrate, and then stick the felt to the substrate using cold bitumen, which you then leave to cure.

Using a felting torch isn't really for Diyers.
They can be dangerous, heating the bitumen on the felt needs to be just enough to get the felt to stick to the roof, too much heat and you burn a hole in the felt.
You could try cold fix bitumen, prime the substrate, and then stick the felt to the substrate using cold bitumen, which you then leave to cure.
I suppose I could use a small blowlamp (similar to camping stove) like this one:

It's only about 2m of parapet I am looking at.
Worst case I ruin some felt or it doesn't stick - could be worse.

Sponsored Links
I suppose I could use a small blowlamp (similar to camping stove) like this one:

It's only about 2m of parapet I am looking at.
Worst case I ruin some felt or it doesn't stick - could be worse.
Or set fire to an old birds nest and torch the house…:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back