DIY two storey extension

thanks but this is not what i wanted to hear. these poles came highly recommended from a reputable english builder!

in an ideal world i would be getting michael angelo or norman foster to design my house but his is not the case.
many people do self build. people have been doing this for centuries
i am not concerned with the time it is going to take so do not try to discourage me please. it is NOT rocket science but practical knowledge and niggling details connected with building regulations. not always logical.

any advice on timber joists?

Sponsored Links
Depends on span, will you be tiling this floor? if so I'd go with 8x2's at 400mm centres with a couple of rows of noggins, for a really rigid floor.

You haven't given us dimensions though, this will determine joist depth.

I agree that some Poles can do a reasonable job, but it's all part of the cost/hassle/timescale ratio.

Depends on span, will you be tiling this floor? if so I'd go with 8x2's at 400mm centres with a couple of rows of noggins, for a really rigid floor.

You haven't given us dimensions though, this will determine joist depth.

I agree that some Poles can do a reasonable job, but it's all part of the cost/hassle/timescale ratio.

thanks this was useful!
i will need approximately 4600mm length. however, there will be two joists in two parts: i have a steel column sticking out from the wall. how do i connect them? do i build sleeper wall near the end of each joist?
do i need wall plates on top of sleeper wall and then fix joists to them? or do i only need them if i am building a wall on top? or can i put joists directly onto sleeper wall?

all this is happening this weekend. help!!!

Sponsored Links
I can see there are two schools: one to lay in without covering the cavity and another one that says it is OK to have DPC stretching the width of the wall including cavity, in my case 290mm.
Do you think it is OK to go with the second method?

Thanks ;)

you must not span the cavity with the dpc unless you are also fitting a gas membrane.

if you do have to span the cavity ( i.e gas membrane) then you must also include a continuous cavity tray and weep vents above.

hey noseall! it is great to be a woman doing building work. lots of advice!
i have already done my dpc: separate strips for each wall, according to your school!

any advice on timber as per my last question??

:rolleyes:

225mm x 50mm at 400mm centres, with solid bridging at 1/3rd spans.

are you saying i need 9 x 2 joists??!! not sure if i have enough room for sleeper wall and wall plate (do i need it?) and 9 inch joist. would 8 be enough?

how do you construct sleeper wall? does it have special dimensions?

you have been very helpful unlike all those telling me to get a professional builder. i know that without people pointing out...i elected to do it myself and am sure will get there eventually

probably.
;)

you will encounter many niggles along the way, if time is not an issue, then good luck. ;)

sorry i misread your Q, i was under the impression it was 4.5m clear span!

if you split the span with a sleeper wall then 175x50mm will do.

So.

You had an engineer and an architect, who I assume both filed the plans and building spec with planning/building control for approval, so why are you asking us questions as to the size of the joists for the timber floor :?:

Surely all the details you need are to be found in your building spec as passed by building control and backed up by the building inspector on his site visits. Your building team should be able to follow your plan and build to current specs.

I am sorry to say but polish workers have little or no knowledge as to the content of our building regs or the way we build in this country. It seams to me that you are trying to go about this project on the cheap and it is obvious that you and/or your work force do not have a clue what you are doing :eek:

I strongly recommend, without delay, that you employ the services of a reputable builder to carry out the works before you end up with a half built structure and a seriously depleted bank balance :!:

Apologies for the curt reply but I feel duty bound as a time served builder to point this out to you. But at the end of the day I wish you all the luck in the world

Hi Alp-Con

Thanks for this patronising advice.

It is in fact the great British builder that I had to sack. His knowledge was absolute zero! Do not be so xenophobic! They have houses in Poland and they have to be built to a higher standard than here. Purely because of the climate.

It is not about saving money. It is about refusing to pay for nothing. And it is about my own desire to do it.

But then I am only a woman.

P.S. Do you have a builder's bum as well as the attitude???

:LOL:

ooohhh

Pantyhose in a twist is it :D

I have built all over the world and I can assure you that the standard of build in Poland is not higher than in good old England and you being a women has nothing whatsoever to do with my comment :mad: I actually employ three ladies in my building team :eek: and they could teach your Polish boys a thing or two.

The fact that your great British builder knew nothing speaks volumes. You obviously made a bad choice which im afraid to say could well be the norm throughout your project and no i don't have a builders bum :!: do you :D

Chikenski wrote

But then I am only a woman.

If you say so, though I doubt it very much.

A female would have the intelligence not to insult someone who was giving good advice to her.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back