DIY window cleaning

I do mum's windows as she's elderly and lives in a high rise. The windows are classed as fully reversible so they essentially turn all the way round for cleaning, well, most of the way round. however there's no way older people could easily do it, or those that don't have a head for heights.

What I've noticed is if I use good old warm water and washing up liquid, the windows don't stay clean for that long in real terms. However if I use window/glass cleaning spray and cloths they retain a degree of cleanliness much longer.

Conny's experience is quite similar to my own past experience of modern window cleaning. Except now they go around as a team, with a Transit fitted with a large water tank, a very long pipe and long brushes. They pull up in one place and the hose reaches around to several properties, but with the long pole, they cannot properly wash down the upper storey sills and it is no longer cheap.

Doing them myself, I am much more thorough. As said, I do have ladders, but the longer ones needed for the upstairs are far too heavy, so I tackle them from inside. The all but one, side hung windows, don't turn completely around, but there is just enough space at the hinge side to squeeze my arm through with the mop and squeegee. I can also reach the outside sill with a brush to clean that.

Sponsored Links
I am not a professional commercial cleaner but in my typical office scenario, I saw our janitorial team cleaning the window weekly. It is essential to practice keeping your windows clean. Especially our office has lot of windows and the cabins designed with glasses. So it needs extra caring. Just running a cloth on window will not help you. In my office, the commercial cleaning team will have different ideas and solutions based on different cleaning. Suppose cleaning the window, they take a cloth wet in warm water and wipe the window. Always clean the window from top to bottom. When cleaning the glass with a wet cloth, wipe it in the same direction so that the dirt won't come back on the glass, and you can easily clean it next time.

Age is a b#tch, so a few years ago I got a pvc installer to replace all hinges on the windows so they can open/slide sideways and cleaned from inside.
Best thing I've done in years.
It only cost £10 per window and £50 labour.
He was done in less than 2 hours (6 windows) including tea and chit chat.

Sponsored Links
Back