Cleaning a glass roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sun room built into the house, gives a sloping glass DG roof of aprox 7m x 4m. ( in 12 panels)

We have window cleaners who come once a month to do windows and the roof, but not much more than spraying with filtered water and brushing off.
The roof has become stained with birds, moss etc, such that when they clean it …. not a good result.

I have a telescopic brush …. To allow me to reach the panels, type you attach a hose to for cleaning boats or caravans.
Anybody know of a good suitable cleaner I can put glass to help clean it ? .. i.e. Dip brush into bucket of solution.

i have a pressure washer which can inject cleaning chems into the water flow if there is something that would work that way.

Sponsored Links
I do have wet & forget, I spray fences and patio with it. that is a different product.
I'll take a look at their glass cleaner - Thnx

Last edited:
What about car washing products, snow foam to spray on and soften followed by a good scrub with some car wash in a bucket of warm water.

Sponsored Links
What about car washing products, snow foam to spray on and soften followed by a good scrub with some car wash in a bucket of warm water.
I tried my snow foam unit .... not much effect on the stains.
Problem is I can't get to it to give 'a good scrub' have to use a telescopic brush, and you cant get mush downwards pressure as tube will bend.

Try a hand sprayer with white vinegar onto the stains and keeping “wetting“ it for 15 minutes so it has time to penetrate. Then cleaning off with your brush. Can you reach from an upstairs window without falling out?

I used to use an extending ladder to reach the roof of my motorhome with suitable padding to prevent it marking the sides.

Try a hand sprayer with white vinegar onto the stains and keeping “wetting“ it for 15 minutes so it has time to penetrate. Then cleaning off with your brush. Can you reach from an upstairs window without falling out?

I used to use an extending ladder to reach the roof of my motorhome with suitable padding to prevent it marking the sides.
O use a trestle platform so I can get to the fascia ... but can't risk going onto the glass roof.

I have a brush that is long enough, but once extended for 4m or so, you can’t put pressure on it to scrub, the aluminium shaft flexes.

You need a heavy duty descaler to remove Limescale which allows other materials to cling to glass (moss etc.).Then a regular glass cleaner will be more effective .

I bought the Wet & Forget product … will try it in next couple of weeks

I have a brush that is long enough, but once extended for 4m or so, you can’t put pressure on it to scrub, the aluminium shaft flexes.

Secure (duct tape, zip ties, whatever works best) something with a bit of weight to the back of the brush head?

Yes, I know these particular ones are out of stock, but it illustrates what I mean:

Also, as Old Salt says, car shampoo.
I'd be inclined to brush it on neat - wear eye protection, and gloves - then leave it to soak for a bit.

Regardless of the cleaning solution you choose, be sure to test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the roof first to ensure that it doesn't cause any damage or discoloration. It's also important to use caution when working on a sloping glass roof, as it can be slippery and dangerous. Consider using safety equipment such as a harness or safety line, and never work on the roof alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back