Been blamed for scratched window, how do i handle this?

Sponsored Links
Don't all your customers already have your name, address etc?
No.

He probably knows my second name from bank transfer details. obviously got my phone number. Knows nothing else. I turn up- clean his windows, why would he care. Thinking of disappearing.

or email contact if he wants to send you a letter.

if he sends you a claim then you dispute up until the point you get a letter before action, refuting his claim and putting him to strict proof. Mark any offers without prejudice or admission of liability.

Offers meaning offers of money from me?

Maybe just give him email address. I don't legally have to give him my home address, do I? I don't think he'll have a hope of proving I did this, how? I will offer to clean his windows for free. Although as he hasn't paid 3 times over last 2 yrs so he's already done quite well. He might think I wasn't paying tax on my first clean ages ago as I asked for cash on that occasion but I doubt he'll remember that and was registered anyhow if tries to dob me in.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the dispute -

it just does not seem very professional if your customers don't know who you are.

Sponsored Links
" I DIDN'T SODDIN SCRATCH YOUR SODDIN WINDOWS SOD OFF "

HIM "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH !!"

YOU " SODDING PROVE IT ! YER SCANKING BASTERD ! "

so he owes you for previous jobs? why are you offering a free clean?

yes if you get into dialogue over email. be clear that any offers. (money cleaning etc ) are made as a gesture of good will and not accepting responsibility.

It doesn't look good if you refuse to give name address etc. to frustrate his attempt at bringing a claim. Imagine how you'd explain that in a small claim court?

Couple of points I'd be thinking of:
- you cleaned all the windows the same way with the same tool. How come only this was scratched?
- was this window particularly dirty perhaps to hide scratches so that you could be blamed?
- is he claiming for the replacement door or just glass?
- does he have accidental damage insurance - perhaps just offer to pay excess?

example email... (only when you get a formal claim email/letter threatening action - a letter before action)

I'm sorry that your windows have scratches on them, but I genuinely don't believe this was as a result of me cleaning them as pointed out on (date of discussion/inspection). I cleaned all the windows and this is the only one with scratches. So it seems odd that if it was my tools, others weren't damaged? I pride myself on doing a professional job and I value my reputation. To that end, I am willing to offer without prejudice, as gesture of good will : XXX. This would be in full and final settlement to avoid further action.

However, I want to be clear that I do not believe I was responsible for the damage.

Last edited:
Sorry Cubiod, but if he hasn't paid you 3 times over the last 2 years, then he knows you're a soft touch, and he's trying it on, and why are you even thinking of paying him. Get a backbone, tell him you didn't do it, otherwise more than 1 would have been scratched, and DON'T do any more work for him. You should have learnt your lesson by now, and I'm going to be blunt here; if you haven't, then you deserve all the shyte he's heaping on you.

"Me washed your windows Me ?.......NEVER ......Wash your windows ......why would I you NEVER PAID ME
I HAVEN'T WASHED YOUR WINDOWS ......"

WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO FORNICATE UNDER THE COMMAND OF THE KING YOURSELF ?"

Was this the very last window cleaned?
If not, how come no other windows are scratched?

I think it was me but don't know for certain. I think some grit got in scourer pad at end of applicator used to apply soapy water. It's really pushed in hard for stubborn stains. I have never done this before. And as he has cameras in his house and is rich he might have photographed all his windows and time logged it from now on so I would worry if this happens again he would have evidence to prosecute me. In conclusion, I won't do his windows again not worth the worry.

I get the feeling you're paranoid cuboid; who the effing hell is going to photograph all the windows whilst you're working. Any grit on your swab would have come off on the first pass. He's ripped you of in the past, knows you're an easy mark, and he's trying it on again. And if he threatens to take you to court, tell him you'll happily see him there, as he can't prove you did it, just as much as you can't prove you didn't. It'll cost him about £100 to replace the glass, and he's just trying to get you to pay for it (at a much higher rate) and that's how he got rich; off the backs of the little guys he can intimidate.

Sponsored Links
Back