general question about guarantees and verification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for a floor to be fitted and had a few people come round to give me an estimate. Two of the estimators that came round today I just wouldn't hire! They definitely didn't look professional. The other guy that came along actually was a well spoken man. So Im leaning towards his service but my questions are:

1. how do I enforce the guarantee he offers?
2. How do I verify his work before hiring him?

A guarantee in the form of a receipt and contract is offered but enforcing that in court would be time consuming. He did say he had public liability insurance, but I don't public liability extends to defected workmanship. Also what measures should I take to be sure he isn't a cowboy? References I don't think work because he will choose whom I would contact.[/list]

Sponsored Links
Professional company will not ask for deposit and only ask for payment when you are happy with result.

Sorry but I don't think you can judge someone's integrity by the way they speak. Would you let Prince Charles build your wall? :LOL:

Sorry but I don't think you can judge someone's integrity by the way they speak. Would you let Prince Charles build your wall? :LOL:

Took the words right out of my mouth. All the best conmen sound great. The bloke who turns up dirty from work, and doesn't spout a load of spiel may be better.
Worth having a word with trading standards just to see if anything is known about whoever you employ.
There's no 100% guarantee of anything when having any work done. A recommendation from someone you actually know is best. I don't see that references are any good unless you can at least speak to the person who has had the work done.

Sponsored Links
If you are buying your flooring from a shop, they should be able to recommend a fitter to do the work - and it's their reputation at stake so they will guarantee the work.

They might even turn up in an Aston Martin and wearing bow ties. :LOL:

I wouldn't let Prince Charles talk to my plants! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back