What questions should I ask a builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Im turning a bedroom into a bathroom and have received a few quotes. Ive settled on one chap (nice guy, experienced, took his time looking round the place and making suggestions).

What questions should I ask the builder? For example:
Is this a fixed quote, have you got builders insurance, does the quote include materials etc...?

This is the first time Ive dealt with builders, so want to make sure Im asking the right questions. I am concerned with the insurance issue. What if he starts and the roof caves in? Should I ask to see his insurance documents? What insurance policies should he have in place? Public liability, professional indemnity, contractor all risk?

Im happy with my choice of builder, I just want to corss all the T's and dot the I's before I proceed. Thanks.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I forgot to say: Is it cheeky to haggle or do builders expect this? I dont want to p**s him off before he actually starts the work!

Sponsored Links
You want a fixed, itemised quote to include all costs (labour and materials) and include a rate for dayworks (or an agreed way of pricing) for any unforeseen work which may be needed

It needs to say quote and not estimate

It needs to state payment terms and for longer job times, when payments will be due

You can ask to see insurance documents (Public Liability), but then you will need to phone up the company on the document to check if the cover is real - as just looking at it is just as worthless as not asking to see it in the first place

You also need to ask him if any building regulation permission is required, and get him to write that into his quote

And you may want to include a retention fee (2.5%) for a few months if the work is more than £3k, or just make sure that you don't pay all the money until all the work is done.

And I would suggest that if you think that the builder may cause the roof to cave in, then you are starting off with the wrong attitude

You don't haggle. If a builder reduces his price, then he was overcharging in the first place. Likewise, I am sure he has to eat and pay bills etc, so he would normally like to be paid a fair rate and not have to worry about being paid at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back