what insurance do builders need ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

It's been a long time since I posted but was looking for some advice from you guys.

We're looking to get some building work done and would like to know what sort of insurance my builders should have.

I understand public liability is needed but what insurance is needed if for example, they prop up a wall and the acro fails and my house falls down? :eek:

I've been told that the builders should have structural integrity insurance but is this necessary and what is indemnity insurance and is this the same?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

andy

Sponsored Links
Your builder should have public liability insurance and employers liability insurance and the the property should be insured in joints names (i.e. both you and the builder) against all risks. This is important because if the builder has insurance (or vice versa) in their own name only the insurance company would pay any claim but would then turn their guns on anybody they think they might be able to recover the costs from - and that might be you. Insurance in joint names avoids this because the insurance company cannot sue a party to the insurance.

It is common to instruct the builder to take out a joint names policy but for domestic work your household insurance will probably cover you. (obviously you need to double check this?) Just make sure you add the builder for the duration of the works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back