Structural defects liability insurance - needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just reading something and as with all insurances they're designed to make you start thinking about worst-case scenario :rolleyes:

Federation of master builders and the like seem to offer a 10 year structural defects liability cover, but as I'm doing my extension myself is this something I should be/or have bought?? Not expecting a "worst-case scenario" where major cost isn't covered by my normal buildings insurance.

Couldn't find anything searching the forums so help/advice welcome!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
It mainly applies to new build properties, to get a mortgage on a new property building soc's ask for a building warranty (usually NHBC) normally for a duration of 10yr upon completion.
Its basically insurance cover for faulty design, materials and workmanship. Wouldnt know if it applies to self build extension thou, as you would be suing yourself if anything goes pear shapped. Course providing warrantees when you sell the property is a different matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back