Home insurance while self building an extension

Sponsored Links
23vc I have read this can lead to problems unfortunately. For anyone else reading it is vital you get the insurance sorted before you commence works.

For anyone considering self-building or project managing their extension the Homebuilding and Renovating website has some great articles on insurance.

The most important one you need is public liability insurance. I think builders have about 2 million of cover on their policy.

Update - existing insurer have come back and basically added some clauses to exclude any damage caused by the extension, but otherwise policy as it was. No increase to premium either, so I'm happy with that. Sorry to scaremonger, I didn't think this would be the outcome, worth knowing for anyone else in similar position tho (y)

Sponsored Links
Update - existing insurer have come back and basically added some clauses to exclude any damage caused by the extension, but otherwise policy as it was. No increase to premium either

I had a similar conversation once. Their main concern was that the property would be worth more after the work was done, justifying a higher premium. I jokingly said "I'm doing it myself, it will be a miracle if it's worth more afterwards" and they seemed happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back