PVCu Window Cills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace a PVCu Window Cill because it is quite badly scratched, marked and missing an end cap and therefore I need to purchase a replacement.

I don't want to have to go to the window company who I did not purchase them from because a previous owner got them. They are a real nuisance of a company and I don't want them phoning me multiple times a day trying to sell me more windows.

Are the PVCu windows and window cills fit fairly standard or are they manufacturer specific? Could I go out and purchase a cill from somewhere else and expect it to fit?

How exactly do they fit together? Do they slot together or are they screwed? I have never bothered to look at a cill while in the DIY sheds so don't have much idea about them. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Theres various ways, the cill could of been screwed on to the window before fitting and then all fitted as one or the cill was dropped in first then the window placed on top and screwed downwards, you may see these screws if you have a side opener otherwise the screws will be under a fixed pane in which case the glass needs to come out.

Either way the window frame will probably need removing as most cills have a little 5mm upstand at the back and this will stop the cill from being slid outwards, other than that then yes, cills are pretty much generic

Thank you for the information. I supposed I could go to a DIY chain and get one, if they sell one which is fairly long. I will have to measure the current one to find out it's size. Ii might be a 180mm cill because it does protrude quite a lot. It needs to match the current cills.

Maybe the quickest and easiest, there're some companies sell upvc window sill cover, the next problem if there's enough room for windows opening. Where do you stop because if you want to match the next windows!

PVC_Window_Sill.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe the quickest and easiest, there're some companies sell upvc window sill cover, the next problem if there's enough room for windows opening. Where do you stop because if you want to match the next windows!
mmm do those sit on top of the current sill? I suppose they must do if they could affect the window opening which they could do.

I intend cutting a panel off below the window because I want to brink up below it and move a radiator. Therefore the window has to come out anyway so replacing the cill isn't really any additional work.

The local houses are being externally insulated ATM and next door has been done. The cills on their windows are now different and longer than the windows on the house on the other side. They are the same windows so either the cills were replaced, which seems unlikely or they added something to the cills. Possibly similar to what you mention. I doubt that they would go to the trouble to remove a window to replace a cill.

They're doing it round here aswell to the council houses, just looks like 4" kingspan screwed to the walls then rendered, certainly here they are cloaking the existing cills with a thin capping extending the cill further, haven't had a close look as i'm driving but they do look very close to blocking the concealed drainage with that capping

They're doing it round here aswell to the council houses, just looks like 4" kingspan screwed to the walls then rendered, certainly here they are cloaking the existing cills with a thin capping extending the cill further, haven't had a close look as i'm driving but they do look very close to blocking the concealed drainage with that capping

It's 60mm Kingspan that they are using here rendered with a fibre glass resin and then painted a cream colour. The cills, they don't look any thicker than they look on the house on the other side, it's the down bit on the end that is a slightly different shape. It's because they don't seem thicker which at first made me think that they had been replaced, even though I couldn't believe that they would go to that trouble. They look fairly good considering.

I haven't looked at they closely enough to see if the drainage could be blocked. I will try and have a look at it when I can, the scaffolding is still up ATM.

Yes take a look if you can, from what I could make out it looked like they pushed the new cill right back so it touched the window which meant as water drains away through the slot it just hits a dead stop possibly even seeping under the new cill which in turn would mean it wouldn't clear the kingspan and maybe ingress behind it?

Yes take a look if you can, from what I could make out it looked like they pushed the new cill right back so it touched the window which meant as water drains away through the slot it just hits a dead stop possibly even seeping under the new cill which in turn would mean it wouldn't clear the kingspan and maybe ingress behind it?
It's very difficult to see how they have done it because of the scaffolding hiding it when viewed from the ground and the PVC-u protection film which says EuroCell, that is still on it. From what I can see from my bedroom window, which is the only place it can be seen from, it doesn't look very thick. There is a visible small gap between it and the window frame therefore it hasn't been pushed up tight against the window frame. Maybe it has inbuilt water runs so that the water from the window frame can still drain away along the original cill remnants and still drain out past the Kingspan. They must of cut the cill down hand off so maybe that is what the water drains across to get the water over the top of the edge of the Kingspan.

Without being able to look closer at it, it is very difficult to say how it's done.

Well on the way back from work today i found myself driving through this said council estate so i stopped to check out how they're extending these cills, to my shock and horror they're just cloaking over the existing 150 cill with 9mm foam filled cappit/reveal liner and they pushed it right back to the window and sealed it as well totally encapsulating the drainage holes :eek: OMG :eek:

Icadoitwell Call the Plastics Depot in Sutton Coldfield 0121 311 2666 my suppliers they will supply u any cill you want

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back