Friend of a friend ruined my sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I asked a friend of a friend to do some work on some sash windows in the kitchen.

The first nightmare was coming home last night after work and fine white powder (from sanding and painting) coating the kitchen and hallway. It was in all the drawers and all that. I spent 3 hours decontaminating the whole things and threw loads food and the toaster away.

But today I had a look at the windows. I don't know what the hell he did. I just asked him to make sure the window opened because it was sticking and he 'painted' it as a favour.

He filled with polyfila all the decorative woodwork on the 100 year old window and well put filler everywher in a big mess (then i guess he sanded it all to hell) and then painted it; he also put paint on the wood kitchen units, table, chairs, boiler, fridge. The windows are now totally stuck and wont budge, but thats the least of it.

I don't know what to do with the sash windows. The wooden mouldings, some parts are filled, some not, it looks absolutely ****. I think the whole thing needs to be stripped back to the wood and the mouldings replaced, you can't get the polyfila out of them can you.

Any advice is useful.

I paid him 500 quid the day before - he also did some other work in the flat which was alright. But I paid him before because I felt intimidated, and I wanted to trust him.

Jesus. Last year I had some electrician look at a blown CB and he cut through all the rings in the circuit before realising it was the washing machine.

I paid him 90 quid as well - I felt guilty that he and his mate had spent all day on it.

Last week I painted one of the rooms myself - it looks perfect. When I do it everything is ok, it's tiring, but it looks alright. When I pay someone else it's a disaster.

I feel like an idiot. I don't know what to do about the sash windows.

What am I supposed to do - never hire anyone else ? I can't do everythign myself. Maybe I am just a soft touch, a bloody idiot who never learns anything. Time to shoot myself.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
used to do a lot of work there,cant believe you cant find a decent chippy in brighton,im down the road in sunny eastbourne.if you cant get any recomendations,then i would suggest going to your nearest cafe and have a cup of tea and do a bit of ear wigging,elm grove cafe used to be very good. ;)

Yeah, they had lots of paint flakes inside.

But ... tell you what you keep using it and in 20 years time we'll see who gets cancer - ok ?

I'm one for using someone who has been recommended. I've used friends or friends of friends in the past and its never worth it. Only use someone you know if you can trust that their work will be spot on. If they are a good friend they won't want payment until after the work is complete.

I've never tried, but you could always use a website such as http://www.ratedpeople.com/ as it will give you an idea as to who is a good trades person to use.

ratedpeople is a no good because tradesman can prune their own feedback history.

even recommendations wouldn't solve the problem the op has, because ALL tradesmen will take the P if you let them, and I mean each and every one. OP you just have to be more assertive. tradesman give discounts to people they like or fancy and then claw back the money from people like you who are prepared to pay without arguing. be more critical of their price!

Basically I just hate getting people in to do work, it's usually a disaster. People just don't know or care about what they do.

Best option seems to be checkatrade - but the last guys I got in to check for an electrical fault were from checkatrade ... they cut through all the rings in the flat before realising that it was the washing machine plug.

Brilliant - just f*king brilliant.

Basically just take a few days off work and do it yourself - it's cheaper.

Assuming you have both the knowledge and developed skills to do it properly.

ratedpeople is a no good because tradesman can prune their own feedback history.

even recommendations wouldn't solve the problem the op has, because ALL tradesmen will take the P if you let them, and I mean each and every one. OP you just have to be more assertive. tradesman give discounts to people they like or fancy and then claw back the money from people like you who are prepared to pay without arguing. be more critical of their price!

I dont give discounts, i charge the same for every tom, dick and sally! Your talking out your hole! :confused:

I believe he said "tradesmen" :mrgreen:

Though you're right, he's talking rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Back