DIYing a new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just moved in to a new house, which has a small shed and old dog kennel at the bottom of the garden.

I'd like to pull this down, and install a new 10x8 shed.

Obviously they're quite expensive, so I thought about building my own!?

There is a concrete hard standing to work on, but is there any guides of what timber etc to buy, as I haven't a clue!

I'd like it to look like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODEN-GA...hash=item3f2c06ba99:m:meMLmCk85g9_tboJevc7REw

but with the door on the left, and no windows.

Is it worth building on yourself to save money? How much in materials would you expect to pay for the above shed?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks a lot

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
unfortunately to build your own shed will cost about 40% more
yes it will be better made and what you want but more expensive none the less and thats before your time and effort are added

Really!

I'd have never have thought you could buy pre-made sheds cheaper than building them yourself! Doesn't make sense really.

Not to worry then, I'll look for a pre-made one :)

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Would have to agree with big-all.

Went down the same buy/build process and after advice here went for the later.

Sure it'll cost more, but you'll be able to get well treated wood/shiplap and a much sturdier frame which you'll appreciate for fixings etc..

A decade later on and not a spot of rot on my shed, and I dare say with regular woodcare applied it'll go on a really long time.

I'll probably have to change the roof felt in about another 5/10 years time, but that'll be 15/20 years in total because it was good quality.

That extra cost actually then whittles down quite a bit when you take quality into account.

And the value of being able to custom design for your own needs and how you want it to look cannot be exaggerated.

A simple example is that pre-built sheds always seem too low for that awkward bit of wood. Add on some extra height and it can make a big difference.

Cheers guys.

Is there any easy to follow plans? I've googled some plans, but a lot of them are American. Ideally I'd like a plan, as per the shed I linked to above if possible?

Thanks a lot

the first thing you need to do is contact your local woodyard or timber merchants and find out what size and length off cladding timbers they do
pressure treated 5"shiplap txg would be my choice this has a coverage off about 109mm
my timber yard only had 4.2 and 4.8m lengths that suited me fine i got some off each and planed the 2 small windows position and the front door a bit off center to help better utilize the timber
the main point i am making is make your shed to fit the planking you can get
and remember timber is in metric lengths and sheet material are in imperial
so an 8ft shed will be great sheet material wise but timber wise it can be wasteful
now on the frame that doesnt matter as it can be made up by the top plate adding to make the height up but on the cladding you can get 2.4m which is 40mm short or 2.7 which will waste a bit
now iff you get say 4200 you use 2440 you are left with 1760 or 5ft 9"
or 4800 you use 2440 gives you 2360 so if you then take 6ft [1982mm] you are then left with 378mm so you then make a gap between a window and door or end off panel to 370rather than the normal 18"[406] or 2ft[609]
do you get the idea ??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back