DIY Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to move to a new/old house. I stretched myself financially (as you do) and have been pricing all the jobs I will have to do. One of the things I will need is a decent garden shed (12' x 8'). I was shocked to see the price was over £500 and wondered if it would be worth building my own. My father has one that has stood the test of time but is all chip board with tongue and groove cladding and a cheaply felted apex roof.

Has anyone ever tackled a project like this and would it be worth it. I have seen a book on Amazon that helps but before I buy that I wondered if anyone out there could give me a rough calculation as to the cost of timber etc.

Sponsored Links
no idea of the quality of shed you want but have you tried here they will even put it up for a "couple of quid" that has got to be worth it

The original post wanted to build a shed and pay less than £500 for a 12' X 8' shed and you have directed him to a site where a shed of that size will cost him £1050. It is well within reason to be able to build a shed of that size for less than £500 but you would have to shop around for the best suppliers. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I've just finished a 12 x 8 diy shed, it cost about £150. The secret though is to be able to get the timber at a reasonable price. I am lucky in that we have a bankrupt/seconds store nearby, they quite often have timber seconds. They just happened to have loads of tongue and groove and large lengths of tanalised timber for joists and struts, which cost about half the diy store prices. I had to pay full price for felt, flooring and roofing sheets but the result looks nice and it saved me a packet.

Oh, and it's hard work!

In response to shed building it is a difficult task but the emphasis is initially on planning.
1.The size Length,Height & Width aswell as type of roof apex or sloped.
2.Where to put the door and window.
3.Where to put the shed.
4.Laying the fondations ie slabs or concrete.
5. Type of nails or srews to be used.

I built my shed myself which took me a fair bit of time initially getting the framework exact you would be better with some assistance with this.
the nails i used were anti vandal nails so as to deter anyone from prying of the boards as my old shed was from a shop and was flimsy and broken into twice.
Must be the area im in.
As i said before good planning and get some assistance.

GOOD LUCK.

Years ago I built me own shed from "packing case timber" (still standing), I picked the best bits obviously, but I would suggest using "all thread" or coach bolts to assemble making sure none are visible from the outside

What the heck are anti-vandal nails? I need to build /get a shed about 10ft x 4ft by 8ft high, with 2 double side doors, all hard to break in to. Can tie to a building. How about 3/4 ply, covered in felt perhaps?
Maybe masona's precast concrete slabs would be better...

ChrisR said:
What the heck are anti-vandal nails?
in125ss.jpg

Not heard of it,the only one I know is these type which can be hammer or power driven without pre-drilling with fully flush headless fixing as it self-tap the two wood together.Impossible to get out ! They're called Inskew fixing nail.

some servers do not allow you to do as we often do, (borrow pictures) but i have forgotten what the word is

Thanks Breezer,I've found another way to beat the system !!!! Hopefully the picture will stay on this time ;)

I just remembered it called " hotlinking "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back