DIYnot make money for charity idea. Your opinion please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Often when I have a brainwave I get my feet wet, but I think this one needs airing.
As a tradesman on here I realise that quite often we save members of this forum some considerable and other times less considerable amount of time effort grief and money. It is a service for which I and the other members of this site enjoy doing and require no reward. Seeing as we often invoke the gratitude of the visitors here, how about the idea of having a DONATE TO MY CHARITY button alongside the authors details. Apart from the implication of such a device I can only see benefits to all parties concerned. It would be rewarding to me to see a total of donations made either on a monthly or annual basis through this method although I appreciate that that may take time to set up so for the time being perhaps just a link to the "author selected charities' " website would suffice.

Sponsored Links
admin would have to check that the banking details of the particular charity were correct and not the banking details of the contributor ;)

Good idea, but I think it could put a lot of posters off. They may feel obliged to make a contribution and so, elect not to post instead :cry:

Sponsored Links
Would it not be better to have a single charity (or group of charities) and a button at the top of every page, saying 'If you found this site useful' etc. etc. Then people wouldn't feel so obliged to contribute to individuals charities.

TexMex said:
Good idea, but I think it could put a lot of posters off. They may feel obliged to make a contribution and so, elect not to post instead :cry:
The idea is not intended that way and hopefully would not be presented in that manner.
petewood said:
Would it not be better to have a single charity (or group of charities) and a button at the top of every page, saying 'If you found this site useful' etc. etc. Then people wouldn't feel so obliged to contribute to individuals charities.
I was thinking more along the lines of the following example
DIYer X is about to invest in a powerflush for his heating system
Expert Y informs him that it can be done more cheaply by AN. Other and Co. meaning that X has saved £250 and would like to donate a few percent or whatever of the saving to a charity of Y's choosing.

I agree that if X doesnt have much interest in the welfare of say Albanian mountain goats [not that I am biased against Albanian mountain goats] then the option of an alternative should be offered.

It would be nice to hear the views of the 'powers that be' on the idea.
I summon the great and wonderous DIYnot and his fellow moderators for their input and the practicalities and possibilities of making this happen.

Slugbabydotcom said:
Often when I have a brainwave I get my feet wet, but I think this one needs airing.
As a tradesman on here I realise that quite often we save members of this forum some considerable and other times less considerable amount of time effort grief and money. It is a service for which I and the other members of this site enjoy doing and require no reward. Seeing as we often invoke the gratitude of the visitors here, how about the idea of having a DONATE TO MY CHARITY button alongside the authors details. Apart from the implication of such a device I can only see benefits to all parties concerned. It would be rewarding to me to see a total of donations made either on a monthly or annual basis through this method although I appreciate that that may take time to set up so for the time being perhaps just a link to the "author selected charities' " website would suffice.

Already tried this idea i was looking for donations for Otto,s oil refinary but up to now the grand total of donations is £0.00

B.O.B DOLE said:
Already tried this idea i was looking for donations for Otto,s oil refinary but up to now the grand total of donations is £0.00

Bob I would be happy to sponsor this as it sounds like an exciting prospect and I got a postal order from my auntie Doris for my birthday. Please let me know where to send funds to and what kind of a return can I expect on my £5.

I think it is an excellent idea Slug. :D

I can't see anybody objecting to a £1 donation to a well known charity (that could change to others monthly) for advice given.

We all use this forum as a hobby and it would be nice to know that we are benefiting others. :D

Terrible username though slug :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back