DNO replacing incoming cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would the DNO charge to upgrade or replace the incoming supply cable.

Two flats i have looked at this week have issues that concern me.

The first has the CU mounted in the hallway above the front door.
The cable I think is lead sheath and it is wrapped in cloth like crepe bandage.
It enters the house tight in the corner and runs up the corner along the door hinge. and when the front door is opened the cable is squashed between the door and the wall. Looks like it has been like that for a very long time.

The constant movement does concern me

The other flat is an upstairs flat the live and neutral enter the flat through thin metal conduit. The cable is very old and appears to be cloth covered. VIR?

The earth is a clamp on the conduit.

Size is difficult but I would say it is about to 10mm2

How do the DNO deal with such issues . and since it belongs to them would they charge, being a safety issue?

Sponsored Links
When you say CU do you mean CU, meter and DNO fuse per flat or is there one DNO fuse and the meter(s) elsewhere.

If the meters are not by the CU then the wiring you mention is probably not the responsibility of the DNO but the "management" of the building.

Thanks for the reply.

The CU, meter and DNO fuse are within the flat. Its not a block of flats these are purpose built privately owned flats each with own front door, i.e not communal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back