Thoughts on DNO / Supply Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Some time last year a contractor who visited our house suggested that our mains supply cable coming into the house could be coated in asbestos containing materials but that it wouldnt be possible to sample it due to it being live electrics. He advised to contact the DNO for further information. My very limited research seems to suggest my cable might be PILC but it doesnt look like the black ones in many of the photos. Its also coated in some white stuff thats worn out on one side. Is this likely to be asbestos or could it just be paint? Do any of you know if asbestos has ever been used to wrap supply cables?

I have contacted the DNO and their response was that they can send some one out to 'assess' it and if its an old supply they might need to move it anyway.

As I'm hoping to move house anyway soon, I don't really want to end up with a huge bill and / or having to have my front room dug up so I'm a bit wary of what to do (the cable / meter etc is in a cupboard in the corner of the front room).

Do any of you know what the cable likely composed of?
If I arrange for the DNO to come out and look are they going to want to replace it ?

Ive added photos from a couple of different angles. The fuse looks pretty old as does the meter but the consumer unit and everything else seems to be pretty recent.

Thanks

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 186
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 189
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
.... I have contacted the DNO and their response was that they can send some one out to 'assess' it and if its an old supply they might need to move it anyway. ... As I'm hoping to move house anyway soon, I don't really want to end up with a huge bill ...
If they moved it because it was an 'old supply that needed moving', I can't see that they would charge you ...
.... and / or having to have my front room dug up so I'm a bit wary of what to do (the cable / meter etc is in a cupboard in the corner of the front room).
If they decided that a new supply was needed, I suspect that they would be most liklely to want to put the new service head (and the meter) in an external 'meter box'.

I don't know about the asbestos, although it's hard to see any particularly good reason to oat cables in it. Others may well have thoughts about this.

Kind Regards, John

Personally I'm more concerned about the afficacy of the earth connexion with that verdigre

Sponsored Links
Old cables like that were not made from or with asbestos. It's a jute covering soaked with tar. Under that is a steel spiral band, with a lead sheath under that, and finally the two inner copper conductors surrounded with paper insulation.

The outside may well have been painted or similar by someone, which is why it's white.

The earth connection and the cutout (black fuseholder) above would benefit from replacement. That doesn't involve moving the cable, digging up floors or anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back