Jointing main supply cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We are going to be excavating our drive to create more parking.

We have located the main supply cable as it enters our drive, from the public foot path. It is getting higher out of the ground as it nears the house. In my mind, the cable will need to be extended (by around 2 metres) in order to get enough length on it to get it in the ground, to the appropriate depth.

Is that generally something the DNO would be happy to do, or will they push to replace the whole supply cable, back to the footpath?

Someone has also mentioned that it maybe a PILC cable, would that be a problem?

Have contacted Scottish Power but still awaiting a response!

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It can be jointed under the drive.
Whether you want a joint under a brand new driveway is another matter entirely.
This is the ideal time to relocate the cutout and meter to an external cabinet if it's currently inside the house.

OK not within my comfort Zone, but.

I have generally understood that the "Supply" cable up to the meter, and including the meter is the property of and sole responsibility of the supplier?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
The supply cable and the supply head, with the service fuse is the responsibility of the DNO.
The tail from the service head and the meter is the responsibility of the company that you pay your electric bill to.
Everything after the meter is down to you and your friendly local electrician.

like a nice picture?
https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/documents/A typical domestic power supply.pdf
I hope that's not in a rental property with an up and coming EICR:whistle:

Depending on the inspectors opinion on RCD protection and which circuits are on which side it may only get C3s..................

AS regards ....
... 7. Meter Tails
These are the cables that connect your meter to the cut out/service head. An electrician can provide meter tails and upgrade them when necessary. However, only your electricity supplier can connect the meter tails to your meter and the cut-out/service head.
What exactly is this "providing and upgrading" that an electrician 'can do', even though he/she is not able/allowed to connect either end of them? Indeed, since they are conductors joining two things, neither of which is the consumer's property or responsibility, I can't see why the consumer's electrician should 'provide' them, can you?

And then ...
8. Consumer Unit Tails
These cables connect the consumer unit to your meter. They can be connected and maintained by your electrician because they’re part of the internal wiring.
... this 'connecting and maintaining' can obviously only be done (completely) by an electrician if he/she has access to the meter output terminals and has some way of getting the cutout fuse removed (the diagram shows no isolator).

Kind Regards, John

You’re probably going to need a service alteration/diversion, with a piece of cable put in to allow enough slack to get the right depth (450mm cover.)
The local DNO would need to have a look and see what the options are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back