Moving mains supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mains supply is currently coming into the house under the front door, underneath the hall, then is mounted below the stairs facing toward the back of the house, the cable itself has a bitumen outer.

Would it be possible for the DNO to move the cable approx 1.00 m further under the stairs (toward the front door) without replacing the cable?

If so, would this have any impact on cost?

It's in a very awkward place at current, though if the movement were to be in the order of £1000's then we might have to have a rethink.

Sponsored Links
This is question for your DNO. Only they can do the work. Only they can tell you the cost.

They will need to add a length of cable to extend it. The work will need to be done with the supply still LIVE :eek: so it will be done by a crew of at least two experienced men.

The cost will depend on access, etc. The joint may be outside your property with additional costs for groundworks, etc.

Again, the DNO are the only ones who can give you a price for this.

I think op is talking about shortening the cable,

There is no safe, approved technique to open a live cable, cut it to shorten it back.
Whatever happens it will be a joint outside & a new piece of cable

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if they'd be able to exploit some 'slack' in the cable to release the board and gently move it back 1.00 m? and if so, this would have an impact on likely cost as it wouldn't require rejointing.

I was wondering if they'd be able to exploit some 'slack' in the cable to release the board and gently move it back 1.00 m? and if so, this would have an impact on likely cost as it wouldn't require rejointing.
Not going to happen - far too much risk involved in bending old live cables about.

I think op is talking about shortening the cable,

There is no safe, approved technique to open a live cable, cut it to shorten it back.
Whatever happens it will be a joint outside & a new piece of cable

Westie, out of interest how do you joint a cable outside with it live? Surely cutting into it to joint it outside is just as dangerous as jointing it live inside?

Westie, out of interest how do you joint a cable outside with it live? Surely cutting into it to joint it outside is just as dangerous as jointing it live inside?

The main difference is that outside the jointer has space to move about and "escape" in the event of something going wrong!
In the confined space under stairs or floors that cannot happen

OK we can change cut-outs live in confined spaces, as there are safe working methods to do this, but that is a far as it goes (bear in mind, though, there was a jointer died last year changing a cut-out in an under stairs cupboard)

The only alternative would be to cut the live core outside, move the cut-out etc with it dead and then re-energise it. For that amount of work a new cable may as well be installed

They won't try and move that old lead sheathed cable, it's a new cable and lots of money

As it's metal?

Is that extra over a move?

Edit:

If it makes any difference I noticed a buzzing from the main fuse earlier today when there was minimal load on the supply.

It's part metal and it's not especilly safe. Should be replaced FOC by your DNO.

off the point slightly but what plank installed that pipe clip directly onto the armours to use as earth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back