Main Supply Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m currently building an extension. The main supply cable (2 cables) runs outside the house and into the wall cavity to the meter under the stairs.

The problem being that the new extension is built on the outside opposite the Stairs (meter & CU), this means the cable will now be shielded and plastered over. Ideally it would be better to reroute the cable but I can not see how we can get the cable to the meter without it being plastered in somewhere.

Any suggestions about the best way to protect the cable etc.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Phone the people who sell you your electricity and tell them what you're doing. Ideally you dont want their cables in your house for long runs, hidden in plaster. And they are not your cables to hide. So ask them. They will likely insist you build a white meter box into the external wall in the extension. They will then come and move their cables.

By the way, dont expect much change from a grand for this.

Could you take and post a picture ?

I'm unclear as to the cables being:-

1/ tails between a service head and meter
2/ tails from a meter to you main fuse board (cu)
2/ mains cables ? from the street that would terminate on a mains head and then have (1) above running on.

Once you have confirmed what these cables are / do we can make a suggestion or 10 :D

I can take a picture tomorrow.
The house is semidetached and the main supply cable from the street comes from underground to my Neighbours properties then across to me it will then enter the new extension through the roof for about 1m before going into the cavity down into the meter & Cu. The new roof is a vaulted roof so the cable is about 2.5m above the floor and only runs in the new extension for 1m.

Sponsored Links
Given all these "will run through new <whatevers>", then STG you've already had the DNO involved, to look at the site, and your plans, tell you what they will require you to do, and what they will do, and what it will all cost?

You may not fiddle with the supply cable or meter yourself. You may not re-route them, or move them yourself.

Is "it will then enter the new extension through the roof for about 1m before going into the cavity down into the meter & CU" what they have told you it will do, or is it what you are assuming they will put in place?

I will not be moving the cable and have not had the DNO involve. The extension has a slab and walls but no roof. I looked up this afternoon realised the cable will enter the room by 1m when complete. I know how stupid it is but I have had the building inspector around three times and no one has noticed.
So I guess my question is. If the cable remains in its current position can I protect it with channelling or something else Or do I need to get the DNO in to reroute the cable. Saying that I don’t know where they could reroute it without it entering the building and need plastering over.

If I do need the meter and supply moving does anyone know how long central networks will take?

Ask the DNO. They might be happy with it. They have different rules to domestic electrics.

Central Networks will take as long as they want and charge you what they like. Thats all I know. ;)

I know how stupid it is but I have had the building inspector around three times and no one has noticed.
That's one of the things your project manager is for!

How come he didn't know what he was doing and/or just wasn't paying attention?

Or do I need to get the DNO in to reroute the cable.
You do need to get them in, and asap, because they might want several weeks notice.

You could box it in.

You could fabricate some 2" x2" box metal trunking for the entire wall length and cut the back out the 1m cable length (so you are placing it over the cable and not interfering with it).

You could build stud work over and provide a steel plate under the board for suitable protection.

What would you like to do, because I half think you have a plan :eek:

You could fabricate some 2" x2" box metal trunking for the entire wall length and cut the back out the 1m cable length (so you are placing it over the cable and not interfering with it).

You could build stud work over and provide a steel plate under the board for suitable protection.
Or you could just buy some lidded 2x2 galvanised trunking...

Hmm.

When you said "fabricate some 2" x2" box metal trunking" and "provide a steel plate under the board" it really did read as though you were suggesting he made his own trunking and lid....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back