Power supply cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post.

Today we have had our driveway excavated of the old concrete.
The man with the JCB has caught the power supply cable with his bucket. It has only just torn the insulation. We have measured the depth of the cable and its only 2.5 inches below the ground surface.

We haven't contacted the electric company yet, if they come out will we be expected to pay the bill? As surely shouldn't it be deeper than that?

Thanks Dan

Sponsored Links
There is no legal depth that a power cable should be laid at!
There are a lot of recommended depths for public highways & agricultural land but no legal depth especially on private land

Before excavating, steps to identify the route should have been taken i.e. obtaining plans from the DNO and using a cable locator.

You should get the DNO to visit as though the damage looks minor if not dealt with could lead to bigger problems in the future.

As for costs that is a bit of an unknown, some will charge some will not.

(though if you can leave it until 1st thing Monday morning so you do not have to pay overtime if they do charge)

Oh and your household insurance should cover this

It would do no harm to cover the damage over with a board just in case it is more extensive than you think

Sponsored Links
Oh and your household insurance should cover this
Yes, if he'd hired the JCB and was operating it himself.

But as he'd hired a groundworks company to remove the old driveway then it should be their insurance to pay - no point the OP getting a bad record, he didn't do anything.

Which reminds me.....

Strangely enough I visited a similar situation yesterday The customer had found the cable by hand and rang to ask our advice. No drama no problems.

I had a look and agreed that if he does the excavation I'll get it deepened FOC.

The point is we are not ogres but there are ways of getting it done, just getting the man in with a JCB and starting digging is not one of them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back