DNO seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a law against cutting it?

If so, what is that law?

Is there a law against removing the DNO fuse in order to work safely on an installation?

If so, what is that law?

Sponsored Links
its probably considered as "tampering with the supply equipment"

please note i did say PROBABLY

There was a thread only yesterday with this discussed.

I expect you could find it, again, without too much effort.

breezer said:
its probably considered as "tampering with the supply equipment"
I apologise unreservedly - I omitted to say that I'm soliciting responses from people who know the answer, not those who just want to make a guess (or a bet) in order to increment their post count.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking into my procedures and I'll get back to you.......

Sure theres something safety related rather than fiddling related.

If it was that easy why send me on a course to do it? :LOL:

Softus said:
I apologise unreservedly - I omitted to say that I'm soliciting responses from people who know the answer, not those who just want to make a guess (or a bet) in order to increment their post count.

you really have a "bee in your bonnet" today dont you.

i dont care if i only have a post count of 1, you asked a question to which i was the first to reply, i am sorry it was not to your liking

if i wanted to increase my post count, would i not post a reply or question to anything? or ask a question that (as was pointed out, not by me) was only asked yesterday?

also i could have not used the edit button to add this to the post, thereby increasing my post count, but that is not waht i do

breezer said:
you really have a "bee in your bonnet" today dont you.
You thinking that I have a bee in my bonnet is very much not the same thing as me actually having one.

i dont care if i only have a post count of 1, you asked a question to which i was the first to reply, i am sorry it was not to your liking
I neither like it nor dislike it. It didn't provide an answer so was utterly pointless and devoid of value. If I'd wanted to know who was prepared to guess at the answer to an unimportant question, I've have asked an unimportant question and invited guesses. However, I didn't clearly state that I was interested only in facts, hence the apology.

if i wanted to increase my post count, would i not post a reply or question to anything? or ask a question that (as was pointed out, not by me) was only asked yesterday?
Who knows? I can't glean the reason behind the majority of your posts that I've seen.

also i could have not used the edit button to add this to the post, thereby increasing my post count, but that is not waht i do
You might, but then you'd risk your post being deleted, since you appear to believe that any rule transgression is reason for such a deletion.

Softus said:

If so, what is that law?

Can't find anything in procedures (prob looking in wrong place) but I'm told to report all jobs with no seal on and customer could face prosecution for tampering with metering apparatus.

Softus said:
Is there a law against removing the DNO fuse in order to work safely on an installation?

If so, what is that law?

Again can't see anything in my procedures, but removing the cutout fuse is seen as working on our network.
And only an authorised person can work on our network.
I'm sure there is a law about non authorsed persons working on the network but I'm no lawer.

Sorry not much help am I. :rolleyes:

Roo said:
Softus said:

If so, what is that law?

Can't find anything in procedures (prob looking in wrong place) but I'm told to report all jobs with no seal on and customer could face prosecution for tampering with metering apparatus.

Softus said:

If so, what is that law?

Again can't see anything in my procedures, but removing the cutout fuse is seen as working on our network.
I'm sure there is a law about non authorsed persons working on the network but I'm no lawer.

i will stick up for you, since you confirmed what i said in the first place

Roo said:
...customer could face prosecution for tampering with metering apparatus.
Thanks Roo. I expect that there is a law, but I want to know what it's called so that I can read it.

...removing the cutout fuse is seen as working on our network.
Again, thanks Roo - same as above.

You are helping, because you're giving information and not guessing - you're telling me that there's a written procedure that you have access to. I would expect there to be some basis for that procedure, so I'll keep digging...

breezer - there must be some sandpit for you to play in somewhere.

This is all that I am aware of:

Electricity Act 1989
4.—(1) If any person intentionally or by culpable negligence damages or allows to be damaged—
(a) any electrical plant or electric line belonging to a public electricity supplier; or
(b) any electricity meter so belonging,
he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1989/Ukpga_19890029_en_10.htm

You have to damage something though. So if the seals are not there there is no offence.

the problem is proving that you did it..

if there is no seal when they next come out to read your meter or do work then they have no idea who cut it.

they can go after the last person to do work on the installation but the seals might have already been cut when they did the work..

unless they have surveilance on the seals at all times then I can't see how they can possibly procecute..

TeesdaleSpark said:
This is all that I am aware of:

Electricity Act 1989 said:
Brilliant - thanks TeesdaleSpark.

You have to damage something though. So if the seals are not there there is no offence.
I concur. It also means (subject to any other overriding legislation) that removal of the seal is an offence, but removal of the fuse isn't.

ColJack said:
unless they have surveilance on the seals at all times then I can't see how they can possibly procecute.
I agree - to be successful the prosecution would need either a confession or an incontravertible witness.

strictly speaking, removal of the seal in not an offence, damaging it is..

if you can get it off without damaging it then you're fine :)

Maybe elec board should fit isolators as standard so people dont need to pull the fuse ...

when they/you come round to check meter its usually not planed ( customer dont know they are coming) so as long as the meter and stuff doesnt look like its been played with then whats the problem ... fit a new seal and be done with it

a live tail fell out of a meter so we had to pull fuse .... or leave it hanging there for 10 days waiting for someone to cut the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back