Do council check windows thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a wooden double glazed window in a bedroom.

The frame is rotten and I want to replace with a new frame and double glazed window from a DIY store.

I have been told that if I fit it myself then someone from the council needs to come down and check the glass is of the correct thickness, costing around £100 for the privilege.

I've never heard of this before and it seems bizarre. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
If you repair the frame then the council aren't interested.

I don't suppose replacing it would count as a repair!!

jeeves said:
I've never heard of this before and it seems bizarre. Is this true?

Its true, its to check your replacement window complies with building regs, this legislation has been around for a few years, replacing without approval may come up if you come to sell your house, its unlikely to be a dealbreaker though. Alternatively pay for an approved installer to supply and install it which would probably cost as much or more.

Take a look here: http://www.windowstoday.co.uk/document_l.htm

where you'll find this:

The Self-Assessment Scheme is referred to as F.E.N.S.A. - Fenestration Self Assessment Scheme. If your contractor is registered with the FENSA self-certification scheme, that contractor may certify that the work complies with the relevant regulations and you will not need to notify the council.

If the retailer is not a member of a Self-Assessment Scheme or the householder is carrying out the work (DIY?) then they will be required to pay for the building regulations application - check with your local council for costs. The time taken to obtain approval will depend on the local authority concerned.

Sponsored Links
Just go ahead and do it. Who is going to argue about when a window was installed? If it's treated or painted they last for 30 years. No one will ever notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back