Installing double glazed panes into old frames?

Um...no, (but I've bought a sample pot :D ). I expect you could have colours with tung oil, you need some pigments and something like zinc oxide.

The linseed paint is interesting, I spent ages talking to Holkham. You heat the oil for the first coat and on it goes (60 deg C) very thin. The next day you put the paint on (also thin). I bought a sample of the oil too. It's NOTHING like the cheap stuff in the sheds. This is real quality stuff, and it may well compare to tung oil in its protective ability, except if you need it really water proof.

Give Holkham a ring, they know their stuff. They started using it to maintain their properties, then their friends wanted some, (you know, big estate owners) so they started importing it.

Sponsored Links
greenep said:
Tom, don't you think that's a little unfair? I'm not talking about ripping out the windows and replacing them with UPVC characterless frames, I'm trying to retain the original look whilst making the windows more practical.

As for the rippled glass you mention, that's what I've already got in the frames. That's what annoys me because I can't look out of the window without the view being distorted by the glass.

I understand your point, and in theory I agree with you, but on the other hand isn't the point of glass to allow you to see the outside world?

I'm not having a go, but just think:

Those windows have been there for hundreds of years - and they're slightly inconveniencing you, so you're suggesting changing the character of the house by changing them. If you replace the glass with float glass I can promise you the house will (from the exterior) look completely different.

Seriously, you'd be better off getting somebody who knows a thing or two about historical restoration to have a look at them.

I suggest you ask over at http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-bin/discussing/forum2.pl they have some excellent advice there.

Sponsored Links
Remember that the old glass, complete with its distortions, is a historic fabric. Please don't destroy it. It is very valuable. You could be seriously reducing the value of your property if you remove it. If it were a listed building you would be committing a criminal offence.

The 'P1' glass from Tatra is a hand made mouth blown cylinder glass, made in Poland, costs about £80 per square metre and is excellent, but is not an excuse for destroying irreplaceable historic fabric. Cherish you antiques and be their custodian so that future generations can enjoy them. Install secondary double glazing to reduce you energy consumption.

Paint your wood with real linseed oil paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back