do heating installers sub out the design?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Central heating installers turned up this morning to install my central heating system.

Its a small local firm and the guy who is installing is the guy who gave me the quote a few weeks back.

The guy asked me where I want the radiators, and I proceeded to show him all the rooms. When I asked what size they were he didn't really know and proceeded to tell me its all being delivered at 10.00. I had to go to work so couldn't wait around.

Struck me as odd that the company owner, quoter and installer then didn't know what size rads I was having and it occured to me that he could have sub'd out the design?

Any thoughts (or perhaps I've just used a cowboy!)

Sponsored Links
would not be a combi he is installing would it?

as he has probably just brought a "heat pack" which includes rads pipe etc

did he measure anything whilst pricing up the job, cos without that how could he sub out the design?

He measured the rooms width and length but that was about it.

Yes it is a combi. Probably has brought a heat pack then.

To be honest he came well recommended but I got the immediate impression that he wasn't very technically minded.

Sponsored Links
Some lazy installers just give the room sizes to their plumbers merchant and let them work out rad sizes :eek:

I prefer to work everything out for myself, one less thing to go wrong and i know what wall space is available for each rad.

I would never trust any merchant to do that!

As Dave says the size of rad has to match the available space as well as provide the heat output!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back