do i have a condensation problem in my flat roof ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just ripped out the ceiling from my flat roof in the "conservatory" (glorified lean too built in the 70). I can see tons of water marks on the joists which all seem to be old (I know it was re-roofed about 9 years ago so assuming they were made before that !). However, I have bought myself a moisture meter and noticed that all the beams are up at the 15% reading for the tops of them and around 6-10 at the bottom. Is this a sign of condensation?
Also, when I opened it up I could see fresh marks at the point where it touches the outside wall of the house.

The beams go from the house outwards and have upvc frames beneath them . There are half hearted gaps between the upvc frame and roof beams (a few mm's at most fronted by the cladding) which let in very little air and they only let it in around at the point furthest away from the house (the bottom of the slope as it were) so there is no way that air will get to teh back - near the house wall. When I ripped it down it was packed with ordinary loft insulation - but not very well - lots of airholes.

My thoughts are that I want to turn it into a fully insulated area by sealing around the edges completely with expanding foam/sealent. Then packing the void between the joists with a combination of celotex and ordinary loft insulation to avoid any air gaps and then putting up a vapour proof board ceiling.

It feels like a sound plan based on my reading/googling however, I need to know, please, a) are the moisture readings indicative of condensation or something worse and b) is my closing in plan sensible !?

many thanks for any help !!!

John.

Sponsored Links
Only warm moist air from inside the house can condense. Cold air (outside air) doesn't contain enough moisture. So if you stop the air from inside going up - you cannot get condensation.

Only warm moist air from inside the house can condense. Cold air (outside air) doesn't contain enough moisture. So if you stop the air from inside going up - you cannot get condensation.

Interesting !
So, a vapour barrier plaster board combined with an immediate layer of celotex against it - with or without any gaps above the celotex should do it then by the sounds of it !?

And - you think that there is no current condensation problem and that those readings are "normal" ?

many thanks for your replies

John

Sponsored Links
If there's not visible rot or water damage - just get on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back