Do I have a leak? Air build up in heated towel rail and F&ET drops when isolated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I call in the plumbing cavalry I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of the forum.....

So I have an open vented heating system, boiler (potterton suprima, I know terrible things) and HW cylinder are on the ground floor, loft holds the CW tank, on a plinth, and the F&ET on the loft floor.

For some time now I have been having to bleed a heated towel rail on the first floor pretty much every other day as within 48 hours the top 3 or 4 inches remain cold. Lots of air out and 100% warm again. All other rads are fine, although recently there has started some water hammering noise, but they do not appear to need bleeding. There is also another towel rail upstairs (at the same height as the rails are taller than the rads) but that also remains 100% warm. On the ground floor there is water fed underfloor heating, which gets hot so I am assuming all good there.

In an attempt to understand how air is getting into the system, today I isolated the ball valve in the F&ET and put a bottle over the vent pipe to see if it was pumping over. Left it a few hours (heating on throughout) and there was nothing in the vent pipe bottle, but the F&ET had dropped around 4 inches.

So I can only presume there must be a leak somewhere and possibly a bad one given how much water has disappeared in a matter of hours. However, there is zero signs of leaks anywhere. Nothing around rads, nothing in the attic, nothing in boiler cupboard, no damp patches on walls, etc .... Nothing has been done to the house recently that could have disturbed anything to cause a leak.

Any thoughts, or do I need to get in the guys with the thermal imaging? It is a stone floor downstairs so cannot be lifted. The fact the air always goes to the one towel rail, does that help identify the suspect? I presume not. If it helps that towel rail is directly above the boiler so I suspect is first on the upstairs circuit.

If any more info would be helpful, I will try and give what I can, this is not exactly my area of expertise!!

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes you definately have a leak. And quite a big one too. Ti camera should be able to find a leak this size

Yeah, sadly I figured that would be the case, but worth an ask in case I am missing something dumb. More worrying is that it must have been doing this for months and I have no idea where the water is going, which probably means not somewhere easy to fix! Looks like a call to the insurance co in the morning to talk about a claim for tracing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back